Best Action Wrench

Kmccord

I am looking into building a new rifle next year and was looking at the tools needed. I will be using a Kelbly Atlas Tactical and would like to know what all the experienced Gunsmiths use for this action when torque to specs?

MagnumManiac

Is this a switch barrel or screw and forget?
For my own switch barrels, I hand tighten by spinning the barrel on with the rifle between my legs, then tighten with just a nip up with my Davidson barrel vice and rear entry wrench.
For torquing barrels on, I have a pedestal mounted barrel vice with different “inserts” for different barrel contours and an action wrench that is suited to different action styles. Mauser, Winchester, Remington etc.

I also use the above to remove factory barrels from actions.
Need to know what you are trying to achieve.

Cheers.

Kmccord

I plan to torque it down. I plan to start building my own and move over to building for public, so wanted to start off with a good action wrench that I could use multiple builds. I have looked at SAC action wrenches using modular heads that fit specific actions. However, before jumping into it, wanted to see what others are using for builds they do for a living.

tobnpr

Rear entry wrench is fine for installing on barrels on new receivers.

You mentioned taking it beyond "hobby"- rear entry wrenches may not be suitable for pulling factory barrels (or milsurps) that have been torqued on by a chimpanzee, you risk twisting the action. You'll want an around-the-receiver style for them, so that may be a future purchase. Good idea to have both.

The Brownell's wrench was the first one I bought 10 years ago- and I've never looked back. I challenge anyone to break that bad boy- I've had a 3' cheater bar on it and lifted my 220 lbs off the floor. The wrench with the universal, and Rem 700 heads will do most anything you run into.

Kmccord

Rear entry wrench is fine for installing on barrels on new receivers.

You mentioned taking it beyond "hobby"- rear entry wrenches may not be suitable for pulling factory barrels (or milsurps) that have been torqued on by a chimpanzee, you risk twisting the action. You'll want an around-the-receiver style for them, so that may be a future purchase. Good idea to have both.

The Brownell's wrench was the first one I bought 10 years ago- and I've never looked back. I challenge anyone to break that bad boy- I've had a 3' cheater bar on it and lifted my 220 lbs off the floor. The wrench with the universal, and Rem 700 heads will do most anything you run into.

Yep, I have some factory actions that I do plan to re-barrel and I am sure they are torqued to death. For those I definitely will look into a wrench like you show.

brcfo_outdoors

They fit the clone actions with no issues, all seem good fit?

My only experience has been with Bighorn/Zermatt Origin and TL3's and I have zero complaints. Snug fit, excellent finish, and good materials. The Bugholes was recommended to me over going with the Zermatt factory or PVA. A good quality vise mounted on a solid work bench will also make a world of difference and put less stress on the wrench itself. I know you mentioned SAC for their wrenches, but their vises would also be worth looking into if you don't already have a set up.

jrock

If you have a welder, or a friend who does, weld a piece of flat stock on the end of some round stock and there you go! ;) Best to have a good tight fit up.
I have machinery so I turned the round stock to get a better fit on the smaller diameter actions and milled the flat stock for a good fit up on the lug abutments. I even case hardened the hot rolled flat stock. I doubt that's required. I did to break up a can of Kasenit I had collecting dust on the shelf.
I put tee handles on them to make sure I could get the required torque easily by hand. However, I'm thinking of cutting them off and welding on a socket to use a wrench. Doesn't really matter if you know how tight the barrel needs to be put on.

PM me if you want more specifics.

Attachments

• Wrenches.jpg
    Wrenches.jpg
    986.9 KB · Views: 75

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Team Member
LRH Sponsor
If you want to make your own, you can for a couple bucks each.
Please elaborate on how to make for a couple of bucks each. I have a machine shop so I can make/duplicate tools.
Please let the rest of LRH forum how you make your own for a few bucks. Would be greatly appreciated by many members!
Thanks

Recent Posts