Best 7mm for a 20 inch Barrel

Back in 2006 was at a local Gun Shop just looking saw a BAR 7mm RemMag for sale new in the box it had a 20" factory barrel on it the box even said 20" barrel....walked out while driving down the road talked to the wife....we had just bought a large track of land in the UP and she needed a rifle....we turned around and bought the rifle....
My wife doesn't like pumps, bolt actions and would never even touch a single shot....
I went and mounted a Trijicon 3-9 with a post on it .....cut 1" off the stock so it would fit her while in her hunting clothes....went and loaded some 150 gr. Barnes and didn't push the velocity any 2875 fps....no problem shooting around 1" at 100 yards....
Every year she would shoot 2-3 rounds to check the zero and shoot one round for every deer or bear tag she had in he pocket.....
She has shot close to 30 bucks and 5 bears with the gun not one has gone more the 20 yards....she has retired from hunting due to health reasons and do to my health we have sold the hunting land.....
Hell....I even shot a 8 point with the rifle....came back from hunting one day and we had a gun rack on the porch to keep the guns in and not bring them in the house cold then hot....was walking back from the barn and saw a nice buck moving from one wood lot to the next ran and grabbed the BAR just got the buck in the scope just making it into the woods and fire the 150 yard running shot it was a hard quartering shot but dropped him on the spot....

My first guess is going to be 7SAUM.

I'm working on a 21" 6.5 SAUM currently. I did improve the shoulder like Rich does with his Sherman cartridges but I didn't shorten it like he does.

Initial fireforming with 2.5 grains below max, 140 match burners jammed in the lands has produced 2950 average so far.

Another option if your not supposed to wildcatting would be a 7-300 WSM.

Based on my current experience if you go SAUM or WSM run it in a medium action.

16699434480514751084084443293719.jpg

20" 280ai newish barrel, waiting for suppressor to be released from jail.
so far 162 eldm
r23 @2910fps
n565 @2890 (stupid low es)

Looking to try 180eldm & n565 hoping for 2800fps. Planning on hunting with more accurate of the 2 loads.

Recent Posts