Best 7mm cartridge?

I'm not sure what the case capacity is on the LRM. My stw is around 98 grains h2o to the best of my knowledge. With that much case capacity I am convinced that without a 28" or longer barrel that you might as well step a size down in case capacity. Not saying it couldn't be done in a 26" because it has. This all makes me wonder if the LRM would have saw more success in 28" barrels. I also understand that poor brass is a bothersome problem to remedy.

Have a 7-300 Win Mag built. Neck down a 300 Win Mag to 7mm. You get 28 Nosler at literately half price. 300 WM brass is everywhere.
I have built a few of each. I enjoyed my 7-300s, but sold my reamer when I started building 28 noslers. In my experience, the speeds were not that close. Definitely not equal

I'm not sure what the case capacity is on the LRM. My stw is around 98 grains h2o to the best of my knowledge. With that much case capacity I am convinced that without a 28" or longer barrel that you might as well step a size down in case capacity. Not saying it couldn't be done in a 26" because it has. This all makes me wonder if the LRM would have saw more success in 28" barrels. I also understand that poor brass is a bothersome problem to remedy.
From what I have found, the 7mmLRM has a case capacity of 99 grains. Seems most guys are running 180s at 3000-3050, again biggest complaint being soft brass. With ADG/Gunwerks brass, I can see this round hitting a node around 3100 like originally designed. Everyone is running H1000 in it as well. Retumbo or RL26 would probably gain you additional 30-50fps on top of H1000. It's a great round and I'd like to mess with one in the future with the new brass coming out for it.

Hey y'all I'm kinda new to shooting really far. I got a 6.5 PRC right now but I'm not really happy with the rifle and I was looking at getting a new one. I really like 7mm (Especially the 195gr EOL) I'm just curious what cartridge I should shoot. It's going to be a long range target gun (around a 1000) and my elk rifle. Any recommendations for cartridges or rifles? I was considering building one but I'm hesitant because I don't really know what I'm doing. (I was looking at 28 Nosler but the brass is expensive and I'm not quite sure if I need that much rifle)
Honestly I think the 7mm Weatherby Mag is the best, all things considered. With it's long neck and throat, it can propel long bullets to high velocities but it doesn't generate the recoil of the 7mm STW, 28 Nosler or 7mm RUM, plus your barrel will last about 3 times longer than the 7mm RUM. Sadly though from Weatherby you can only get a 1:10" twist which will stabilize almost all hunting bullets except for a few of the longer more aerodynamic bullets, where you'll want a 1:9 or even faster twist rate. For that you'd have to build one yourself and if you go that route, make sure it has the freebore to get the most out of this round.

Honestly I think the 7mm Weatherby Mag is the best, all things considered. With it's long neck and throat, it can propel long bullets to high velocities but it doesn't generate the recoil of the 7mm STW, 28 Nosler or 7mm RUM, plus your barrel will last about 3 times longer than the 7mm RUM. Sadly though from Weatherby you can only get a 1:10" twist which will stabilize almost all hunting bullets except for a few of the longer more aerodynamic bullets, where you'll want a 1:9 or even faster twist rate. For that you'd have to build one yourself and if you go that route, make sure it has the freebore to get the most out of this round.
7Wby is nearly extinct, can't find ammo anywhere, only special order around here. To increase Twist on 7Wby options is to purchase 7RM Rifle and Ream out or AI the 7RM and use 7WBY AMMO. Equals Long Neck with 40 Degree Shoulder and 9 Twist.

I've seen 7dakota is comparable to a 28 Nosler with 10gr less powder in this thread. What am I missing?
They are from the same parent case.
The Nosler has a 35deg shoulder v 30
The Nosler is ~.140" longer
How can you get a more efficient cartridge by lowering the shoulder angle and taking away case capacity?

I've seen 7dakota is comparable to a 28 Nosler with 10gr less powder in this thread. What am I missing?
They are from the same parent case.
The Nosler has a 35deg shoulder v 30
The Nosler is ~.140" longer
How can you get a more efficient cartridge by lowering the shoulder angle and taking away case capacity?
I'm not sure that I always buy the efficiency bit thats dubbed on certain cartridges. Maybe sometimes a certain cartridge works better with a certain barrel length and certain powder than others do and we make claims to it's efficiency. We could probably burn n570 in a 28 nosler with a 30 inch barrel & drive a 180 grain to nearly max pressure get close to 3400fps and make claim to it's efficiency but not many folks want to run a 30" barrel. Case capacities of of certain cartridges of certain caliber sizes seems to get us desired velocities in popular barrel lengths and there's no doubt that when it all works together like that it's certainly a great thing. I guess thats when we decide it's very efficient and the ultra sized cases seems inefficient but I've got to ask myself the question of how efficient the ultra sized cartridges would appear to be with optimum barrel length for that cartridge.

Last edited:
7mmRM must be going down hill as l have relised that the german gun maker Heym doesnt chamber there sr30 bolt action line in 7mmRM any longer.

I was so close to ordering everything to build a 7mm LRM a few years ago but everyone told me the brass sucked. So I decided against it. Everyone, except a few, seem to love their 7mm LRM and they all say how accurate there's is.
The only problem with the brass is the single source, lack of availability, and cost.

The only problem with the brass is the single source, lack of availability, and cost.
I've never seen it out of stock on their site. But I have heard complaints about the quality and longevity being a big problem with it when Hornady was making it. Gunwerks has confirmed they'll have their own branded 7mm LRM brass made here soon. It's going to be apart of their premium brass, which is made with their tooling by ADG.

I've never seen it out of stock on their site. But I have heard complaints about the quality and longevity being a big problem with it when Hornady was making it. Gunwerks has confirmed they'll have their own branded 7mm LRM brass made here soon. It's going to be apart of their premium brass, which is made with their tooling by ADG.
I tried ordering it for four months one time and six months another and they couldn't even give me a clue when they might have some in.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.