Best 7mm cartridge?

Hey y'all I'm kinda new to shooting really far. I got a 6.5 PRC right now but I'm not really happy with the rifle and I was looking at getting a new one. I really like 7mm (Especially the 195gr EOL) I'm just curious what cartridge I should shoot. It's going to be a long range target gun (around a 1000) and my elk rifle. Any recommendations for cartridges or rifles? I was considering building one but I'm hesitant because I don't really know what I'm doing. (I was looking at 28 Nosler but the brass is expensive and I'm not quite sure if I need that much rifle)
I'm a dedicated 7mm STW nut.

If I were starting out today with my first 7mm, I would probably use the wildcate 7mm-375 Ruger because I love the case.

The 7LRM uses the .375 Rugercase but lengthens the neck and shortens reducing case capacity.

Of the standardized SAAMI rounds I'd probably go with a .28 Nosler.

Boctor, What action, magazine type, barrel brand, contour and length? Great job on your rifle and reloads!

Man this thread kinda took off but it's a trued-up R700 in an MDT ACC chassis weighted down, I run the 3.850" CIP's, it's under the knife right now but the last barrel that those numbers were from was a Bartlein 1-8", Stainless, Sendero contour @ 26" finished length w/ a Vais brake, built by Fritz at Mile High in CO.

i get 2960 with the 7 RM and retumbo. federal brass. they hold up pretty well.
With 195's?! When I was tinkering with it I had pretty good pressure signs at 2912fps w/retumbo and norma brass and pulled bullets after that.

Sorry for highjacking.

1-8" 7mm Rem Mag 100%. That's what i shoot for my all-around target/plinking long range gun. Very tunable, you can run it as hot or mild as you want, brass and dies are readily available, loads are very well documented with a variety of bullets and charges. I only shoot the 195's and I can squeeze 2940fps out of it with RL26 (she's pretty spicy!!), but my more standard, brass-friendly load is with RL33 or Retumbo in that 2830fps range. It's a hammer at 1k, easily gets you out to a mile, recoil is no problem, i can go 100+ rounds without a cleaning, and barrel life is easily 1500+ (last barrel I swapped at 1650 mostly because i wanted to go to a heavier profile).
Now that's what I'm talking about.

7 practical. Getting back to the old mashburn. We have all been doing a tail chase since.
Truth is, I haven't ran into a 7mm that I wouldn't like to have. Would really like to have a practical, I have high regard for what Nathan Foster has done & published. I had already found alot of his info to be true from my own endeavors and when I ran across where he had publicize some of those things, I knew his info was the real deal.

Truth is, I haven't ran into a 7mm that I wouldn't like to have. Would really like to have a practical, I have high regard for what Nathan Foster has done & published. I had already found alot of his info to be true from my own endeavors and when I ran across where he had publicize some of those things, I knew his info was the real deal.
I am putting together one now. When Layne came with the 7stw I just had to have one. After using it for awhile I thought it would be better on the 300 win mag case. Just a little too much boiler room. I also respect Nathan a lot. Real deal and no hyped BS. Brass is everywhere and just right capacity.

So let me get this straight, we have a 28 nosler, and a 7mm sherman max. The sherman has 14 grains less capacity but runs within 50 fps of the nosler... am I the only one that thinks that sounds really suspicious? We're talking 14 grains here people........ I believe efficiency is a real thing and all, but this is one of those things that sounds too good to be true.

So let me get this straight, we have a 28 nosler, and a 7mm sherman max. The sherman has 14 grains less capacity but runs within 50 fps of the nosler... am I the only one that thinks that sounds really suspicious? We're talking 14 grains here people........ I believe efficiency is a real thing and all, but this is one of those things that sounds too good to be true.
I haven't researched the max much, I know a 28 nosler should push a 180gr up to 3200 fps in a 28" easily. So a 7 Sherman max can do 3150 in a 28" with a 180gr? Chances are a fellow would have to take the lower node at around 3050 or be on the edge of pressure at this higher node. which is very impressive performance and it's likely he could get to a node around 3050 in a 26". I like both cartridges. I know of nothing bad to say about either. I'm not sure it's it's comparing apples to apples on the 28N vs 7 max. Just thinking out loud here, like I said I don't know enough about the 7 Sherman max to go much farther with my presumptions.

Hey y'all I'm kinda new to shooting really far. I got a 6.5 PRC right now but I'm not really happy with the rifle and I was looking at getting a new one. I really like 7mm (Especially the 195gr EOL) I'm just curious what cartridge I should shoot. It's going to be a long range target gun (around a 1000) and my elk rifle. Any recommendations for cartridges or rifles? I was considering building one but I'm hesitant because I don't really know what I'm doing. (I was looking at 28 Nosler but the brass is expensive and I'm not quite sure if I need that much rifle)
Have a 7-300 Win Mag built. Neck down a 300 Win Mag to 7mm. You get 28 Nosler at literately half price. 300 WM brass is everywhere.

Have a 7-300 Win Mag built. Neck down a 300 Win Mag to 7mm. You get 28 Nosler at literately half price. 300 WM brass is everywhere.
I never could figure out why so many folks complain so much about the belts. For brass that's half the price, the belts don't bother me. Buy twice as much brass, run it hard if you want & toss it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.