Best 7mm cartridge?

Is there a write up somewhere explaining the powders used, etc? I don't want to derail this thread too much.

If you like to reload, I would suggest a Sherman of some kind. If you don't reload, then maybe a 300PRC or some offering loaded in a quality amMo like Federal Gold Medal Berger, ABM/Berger Ammo, Unknown Munitions or the like. If you want to shoot 1000yrds respectably, ES of your ammo is extremely important.

Perhaps keep your 6.5PRC for steel at 1000 and a different rifle for elk.

Personally I like keeping things consistent and in my budget that means a switch barrel rifle to utilize the same trigger, same stock same scope same cheek weld, etc without buying duplicates. I chose a Bighorn TL3 to run a 6.5 Creedmoor for prs type matches and shoot a 7Sherman Short for hunting.

My 7SS gently pushes the 180ELDM at 2850 out of a 26" barrel with H1000. Could easily get more speed with a bullet like a 180Berger that has a shorter bearing surface but the ELDM is cheaper and arguably more reliable as it is devastating on game.A number of guys are shooting the 195 in the 7SS as well. Those looking for extra speed will use double base powders like RL23 or RL26. Approx 100fps faster.

For me, BC is more important than speed. When you crunch the numbers in a ballistic calculator (I use Ballistic ARC) pushing a bullet/barrel hard to get another 100-150fps doesn't gain really that much usable distance with a good bullet like it does with a lower BC bullet at shorter ranges. This is a choice though each shooter nedds to tailor to their needs/desires but I suggest you look into it.I am not interested in changing barrels every hunting season.

There is a growing database of Sherman reloading info HERE

You can join the discussion for the 7SSHERE

The 7Sherman Max is a medium length action and adds another step in velocity. You can join the discussion HERE

or go to to Rich's website

If you decide to go with a Sherman chambering, I believe Seekins Havaks are available in Sherman calibers upon request. I had Patriot Valley Arms chamber mine and LRI did my buddies but any respectable gunsmith can put one together for you.

Hey y'all I'm kinda new to shooting really far. I got a 6.5 PRC right now but I'm not really happy with the rifle and I was looking at getting a new one. I really like 7mm (Especially the 195gr EOL) I'm just curious what cartridge I should shoot. It's going to be a long range target gun (around a 1000) and my elk rifle. Any recommendations for cartridges or rifles? I was considering building one but I'm hesitant because I don't really know what I'm doing. (I was looking at 28 Nosler but the brass is expensive and I'm not quite sure if I need that much rifle)
I ahoot the 195 berger vld hunter in my 28 nosler. Shoots about .25 moa and performed beautifully in africa in nov on 3 animals out to 568 yds on 1600 lb eland bull, 250 on big roan bull and 35 yds on big bushpig. Need a pretty fast twist like 1 in 8.5 in. The 195 really doesnt work well on your short mags. Takes too much space unless you use a long reciever and seat bullets way out. Ultra mag, dakota 7 and lazzeroni, weatherby would all do well, no one besr, but foe me the 28 is gr8, and i own at least one each of the others i mentioned. Good luck! Goid shooting!

Any thoughts on the 7mm-300Win Mag?? Looks like it'll do or will be close to doing what you want OP
Just sold my 7-300 reamer a few months ago to a member here. He's had great luck and so did I. I'm a 28nos guy so there was no reason to have both.

Hey y'all I'm kinda new to shooting really far. I got a 6.5 PRC right now but I'm not really happy with the rifle and I was looking at getting a new one. I really like 7mm (Especially the 195gr EOL) I'm just curious what cartridge I should shoot. It's going to be a long range target gun (around a 1000) and my elk rifle. Any recommendations for cartridges or rifles? I was considering building one but I'm hesitant because I don't really know what I'm doing. (I was looking at 28 Nosler but the brass is expensive and I'm not quite sure if I need that much rifle)
I'm having a 6.5 PRC built for me. Just curious why you didn't like it.

I have a buddy that had 3 of them built at different times over the last couple of years. His main goal was to shoot 195gr Berger's for elk and targets. Killed quite a few animals and targets with it. Said it was easy peasy to get accurate loads for it. Plenty of readily available common components off the shelf to load for it

I have a 7-300WM now and it's a mess. I agree that built right they are great. Mine happens to pattern like a shot gun. I'm having mine rebuilt as a 28 Nosler. I have found the Nosler is 100-150 FPS faster with the same bullets. The 7-300 is a long case. It's easier to chase the lands with long bullets with the 28 Nosler and still fit the magazine.

Mike at gun works gave me the load specs and it works very nicely on my 7mm with 168 berger and retumbo powder

jud96 I have a same fetish with the 7 MM.. I took the 300 Win. Mag brass and necked it down to the 7 MM and that is all that is necessary to make a VERY nice long range rifle..
When I speak of long range?? I am shooting a mile with a mild up shot that is easy to control... I shoot 190gr. ELD_match with 75 gr. of H4350.. Muzzle volosity is in the ball park at 3000 fp 3050 fps.. Flat shooter. Hard hitter.. A very good elk gun.. or any North American critters.. Last fall I was out shooting prairie dogs, prone position, 300 yards and they just blew up.. (Grin) Rifle is a Rem 700 with a 28 inch barrel.... Love it, love it.

300 Mag brass is easy to come by also
Knapper

I'm starting to believe that once you get up to 28 nosler and more case capacity (98 grains plus) cartridges in 7mm & 30 cal that you really need at least a 28" barrel to do it full justice. Otherwise a lesser case capacity cartridge should be right on heels of the 28 nosler in a 26" where the velocity node will settle in at. Of course, this may be where stepping up from a 180gr to 195gr bullet in a 28N would be advantageous if you had a 26" barrel pending that twist was correct.

Same buddy I mentioned above also runs a 28 Nosler but only as a hunting rig. The extra expense of reloading components and short barrel life has it staying at home more often than not on range day

I love wildcats so I'm biased. I love my 7mm-300 Weatherby. Yes it's different than the 7mm Weatherby. You should be able to push 195's pretty good, I'm thinking 2700-2900 range. I haven't played with anything over 168 with my 28" barrel. Not sure I can stabilize the 195's. I'll have to check my twist. When I was doing all of my testing (early to late 90's) we didn't have all of these high tech Bullets. There have been discussions on this caliber on here. Yup there are probably better but I love what I have.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
Do you want to sell your 6.5 prc?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts