Best 7mm cartridge?

Mike at gun works gave me the load specs and it works very nicely on my 7mm with 168 berger and retumbo powder
Maybe I should wait for the ADG brass then. I need to make a bit more money before I can get a new rifle anyway haha. With 7 LRM I would need a custom rifle then correct? Do yall have experience building? If yall could PM me about building that would be great.

Will a 195 fit in the magazine without being seated way deep?

Yes!! 7mm Remington Magnum with a 195 EOL seated at 3.600" fits perfect in a Xbolt long magnum magazine and shoots fine in my Hells Canyon.

Attachments

• 0A83F2D2-C44B-4B5D-A306-5DC2F6853595.jpeg
    0A83F2D2-C44B-4B5D-A306-5DC2F6853595.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 149
  • AA1E564D-CBBF-47B5-B595-F0970D1AD88D.jpeg
    AA1E564D-CBBF-47B5-B595-F0970D1AD88D.jpeg
    1,019.1 KB · Views: 158
  • 77AFBEDD-91F6-46B4-B2C8-2CD82FA087CF.jpeg
    77AFBEDD-91F6-46B4-B2C8-2CD82FA087CF.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 138
Hey y'all I'm kinda new to shooting really far. I got a 6.5 PRC right now but I'm not really happy with the rifle and I was looking at getting a new one. I really like 7mm (Especially the 195gr EOL) I'm just curious what cartridge I should shoot. It's going to be a long range target gun (around a 1000) and my elk rifle. Any recommendations for cartridges or rifles? I was considering building one but I'm hesitant because I don't really know what I'm doing. (I was looking at 28 Nosler but the brass is expensive and I'm not quite sure if I need that much rifle)

The best cartridge is subjective and relative. You need to find the best compromise of what you are willing and able to spend on time and money. IMHO, you need more than the 7MM RM powder capacity to take full advantage of the 195 EOL's benefit at 1K yard range esp. when elk is on your list since you're from CO. "My" personal minimum would be the 7MM STW (brass is very reasonable, there's also a sub-forum dedicated for it) or equivalent/higher capacity. You have plenty of choices to choose from. Good luck!

I have a 28 Nosler, Custom built I love it, but it is not a target rifle, unless you plan to replace the barrel every year or two. I don't know what is the barrel life for a 7 STW, probably close to the 28. If I wanted a target rifle plus hunt once a year, I would look at the 7 Rem Mag or one of the Sherman's.

I'm curious why everyone isn't more supportive of the 7STW which is as close to a 28 Nosler as you get, has easily found brass, can be handloaded with a myriad number of small and large bullets and offers numerous factory loads that are competitive performers.
When I was looking at Cartridges for my custom build, I was wavering between the 7STW and the 28 N, they are both about the same, the only difference was the belt. I ended up with the 28 Nosler. You are correct on the brass.

Every 7 LRM I've built sucked, it's not all the brass, there is something not right about it, even changed some of the specs and it still sucked, accurate but would not run where it should for the capacity, I can run with it or past it with a propper 7 SAUM, 7 Blaser, 7 MAX or 7 Mag all of which I've run easily the most disappointing chambering I've done regardless of brass.
I would have to test it with good brass for myself to believe that. Soft brass is a killer for any cartridge. I don't believe hear say or wives tales unless I experience it first hand. There's too many others who like the 7mm LRM for it to be junk. The other cartridges listed are all good rounds, but I don't see a 7mm SAUM, 7mm Rem Mag or 7mm Sherman outrunning it. Efficiency is a real thing but with proper brass, powder, and chamber design, the 7mm LRM should have a leg up on those cartridges.

I'm curious why everyone isn't more supportive of the 7STW which is as close to a 28 Nosler as you get, has easily found brass, can be handloaded with a myriad number of small and large bullets and offers numerous factory loads that are competitive performers.
He is wanting a target rifle so an stw or nosler might not be mentioned much cause of barrel life. I would pick either over a rm for hunting

He is wanting a target rifle so an stw or nosler might not be mentioned much cause of barrel life. I would pick either over a rm for hunting

FYSA ...

I really like 7mm (Especially the 195gr EOL) I'm just curious what cartridge I should shoot. It's going to be a long range target gun (around a 1000) and my elk rifle.

All it takes is for one to it get started. 😇

Last edited:
Hey y'all I'm kinda new to shooting really far. I got a 6.5 PRC right now but I'm not really happy with the rifle and I was looking at getting a new one. I really like 7mm (Especially the 195gr EOL) I'm just curious what cartridge I should shoot. It's going to be a long range target gun (around a 1000) and my elk rifle. Any recommendations for cartridges or rifles? I was considering building one but I'm hesitant because I don't really know what I'm doing. (I was looking at 28 Nosler but the brass is expensive and I'm not quite sure if I need that much rifle)
If you have to go 7MM ... 28 Nosler without a doubt but I'd go with a .30 caliber like a .300 PRC.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts