Best 7MM bullet and/or factory loaded ammo for a Black Bear under 100 yards?

162 ELD-X has worked great on numerous black bears for me shot from a 280AI @2990 fps.

However so have many other premium bullets and a multitude of regular cup and core in various chamberings.

Black Bears are easy to kill...pretty much any regular hunting bullet to the lungs will do just fine.

No such thing as best :)

Going on a bear hunt, and decided to take a 7MM Rem Mag. I'm not sure if I will have time to reload but what bullet is the best to use on a black bear or, what factory ammo is best to use. Shot should be under 100 yards. Thanks
Don't discount Federal Fusion either. Get a few different boxes of ammo and see what your gun likes. Use these guys suggestions for your ammo selection and then let your rifle tell you what to use.

Great, because thats the only loaded ammo I could find in stock at a reasonable price.
I'm also interested in the terminal performance of the Norma Bondstrike, so after you bludgeon your bear, please do an autopsy and let us know how the Bondstrike performed.

Under a hundred yards, you probably don't want to use any bullet that might blow apart at high velocity impact.

Bullets I have personally used that I know for sure will make an exit hole on a broadside shot:
Nosler Ballistic Tip
Nosler Solid Base (don't think they are made anymore?)
Winchester PowerPoint
Hornady SST
Sierra Game King soft point (usually unless you hit lots of big bone)

My son and I have been using Fusion bullets for about 16 years now, so I have lots of real experience with them on deer and hogs.
No matter what angle they go through, I always get an exit hole with 150 Fusion from my 270 WSM. I would expect similar performance in your 7 Mag. They are pre-cut to always expand, even at slower velocities. The jacket is electro-chemically applied to the core; that bonds the copper to the lead. Fusion jackets do not and cannot get pealed away from the core. They just don't come off and it matters not what kind of bone you encounter. The bullet can be mashed flat and mangled but that jacket is still on it!

They are just lethal well expanding well penetrating bullets. At the range you plan to hunt bear, there's nothing any better.

I'm a huge fan of the 160 grain Nosler Partition in 7mm Rem mag.

Boom, this is the deal if you can find Federal Premium ammo with them in it.

Side note, bb's are not tough to take out with a well placed shot. We've taken a bunch with our 22/250 and it works just fine.

Killing just isn't rocket science, place a decent bullet in a decent place and good things will happen (4 you)

Side note, bb's are not tough to take out with a well placed shot. We've taken a bunch with our 22/250 and it works just fine.

Killing just isn't rocket science, place a decent bullet in a decent place and good things will happen (4 you)
Really it is rocket science.

Going on a bear hunt, and decided to take a 7MM Rem Mag. I'm not sure if I will have time to reload but what bullet is the best to use on a black bear or, what factory ammo is best to use. Shot should be under 100 yards. Thanks

Nosler Partition or an expanding mono. Next would be Nosler Accubond.

You really need both dependable, consistent penetration, lots of trauma to the vitals and an Exit wound that doesn't take more stitches than a pair of Levis.

I've hunted and successfully taken dangerous game in dangerous situations and simply won't shoot a non bonded bullet unless it's a Partition or Expanding mono like the Peregrine VLR's.

With firearms it really kind of is.

Partitions right now seem to be rare as hen's teeth but the 160gr Accubond seems to be available in lots of places.

why do you want to hunt a black bear anyway ? they are the easiest animal to hunt and unless you are going to hunt a particular preditor that has caused a lot of trouble around humans and has maybe killed some other big brave bear hunters then leave the bears alone
HAHAHA. Now that right there is funny and I thank you. Is it ok if I shoot them for destroying crops killing livestock killing fawns/calves? What about because I like to eat them?

Recent Posts