best 7mag powder

firstcoueswas80

i am pretty new to reloading and was wondering what everyone likes out of a 7mag. the powder needs to meet these requirements:
i am going to shoot 140 accubonds, or 139 interbonds, i would like the highest veloctiy possible with the most consistent and accurate powder. powder needs to be pretty temperature in sensitive. i sight in at over 7,000 ft and hunt around 3500-4500. i do not know anything about powder burning speed, or ball powder vs kernel. the only ball powder i have ever shot was ramshot out of my 270wsm to test the load. i have loaded some R22 and got decent results with the 140 accubond, at aroun .975 but looking for something to shoot tighter.
Casey

Work up to it but I have been shooting 71 gr IMR 7828ssc with very good results in a M700 and a Ruger#1.

Reloader 19 and 22 have both worked extremely well for me in my 7mm Rem Mag with 140 gr bullets. Obviously the two 4831s are also a good match to this bullet weight in this case as they are very similiar in burn rate with R-22.

Kirby Allen(50)

I have had the best results with Hodgdon and IMR 4831 and RL22. I shoot mostly 150gr pills with RL22 (67gr) and CCI BR2's. I load quiet a bit of the 4831's for friends, however. Johnny K.

I shoot a Rem. 7mm. Not the lighter bullets , but the Hornady 162 Grn Soft Pt.B/T w/ 64grns. Accurate 3100 Magnum powder. I feel good about the results. Brass has held up well.

With 140 gr class bullets, I always had the best results with RL 19. My brother tried to top it trying some IMR 4064, but the loads were too hot for N TX heat. I would think H4350 would probably be the best powder of the Hodgdon line for the 140s. If you stepped up to the 160+, H1000 and Retumbo would take over. There is my 2c!

I just reread your post, H1000 would get my vote! The RL poweders drop some velocity pretty quick below about 45F and above 90-95F according to my chrono'd loads in a 300WM. H1000 did not change more than 20 fps from 35-105F.

Back when I started work on our Sendero, I went through several powders. I eventually settled on RL-19 as it provided the velocity I was looking for as well as sub MOA groups. However, as has been mentioned, it is noticiably temp sensitive, and as such I have since been looking at two other powders to try out. One being the Ramshot magnum which I have found to shoot very well in a friends 7mag, and the other is H-1000.

My dad just bought a Tikka in a 7 mag. I'll be working up a load for it with the 150g Btip. I was thinking of trying both RL19 and 22, along with H-1000. I'll let ya'll know how it does. Soon as its not windy around this area anyways. I have to break the barrel in first though, **** it anyways, thats a long process /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rem 25-06 (a truly great round)
Any results data yet? Like many shooters I have found IMR 4831 is good in my 7MM. But enough of me, it is your results with RLxx I am interested in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Buff, i have always heard that the IMR powders provided awesome accuracy, but i was also told that they are temperature sensitive which will not work for me, it is 40 degrees in flagstaff, but 70+ down where i hunt in tucson. have you noticed anything like this with IMR?
thanks!
Casey

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.