Best 700 clone Action for a build ?

I read quite a bit researching the BAT, especially after reading about the locking up issue. My action is an HR. I wonder if the tolerances are a bit relaxed compared to their bench rest specific actions.
I had the action melonited in hope the hardened surfaces might better resist this possibility.
So far I have had no problems, even when shooting in the wind and dust of the eastern Utah high desert, or 40+ gusts above timberline in Colorado blowing dust and sand around.

I have two Stillers (one I still have yet to fire). I have no complaints except the Sako extractor isn't my favorite. I do like them more than the Rem 700 though.

I also have a fully trued 700 with a PTG bolt & side bolt release. It work but it is NOT as smooth as my Stiller & has WAY more rounds put through it.

A good friend of mine just contracted my help on his first custom rig, I thing i've found the best action on the market as of now:

Defiance Deviant.jpg

As far as barrels go, the older Shilens I have shoot very well, but I have heard rumor their accuracy is going down hill. I don't know how accurate that statement is.

I've ran Shilen (3x), Krieger (1x) & Obermeyer (2x) thus far & all are treating/have treated me quite well.

Stick with the top tier barrel makers & you won't/can't go wrong.

I have two Manners T-5 stocks & a McMillan A-5. I'll take the Mcmillan all day long, just something about the McMillan that feels better to me. Quality wise, I don't think you'll find a difference.

t

That's a sharp looking action right there....Who makes it?

Defiance makes it. The integrated Recoil lug & Pic rail really caught my eye. I know, I know, Surgeon has been doing this for years.... lightbulb They also didn't make LH actions until quite recently, guess it soured my opinion of them :cool:

I just received the AIAX chassis, Badger FTE Brake & Jewell trigger for this rig. The Obermeyer 1-10" barrel should be here tomorrow.

t

Thanks for the info. Sharp looking action.

My knowledge is greatly limited in the custom action realm, as I have never built a gun off of one. The info has been very helpful.

The best clone action is a Stiller. Their machining is flawless, and they use PT&G bolts. The PT&G bolt is built with an M16 type extractor, for $930 it comes ready for the smith to build on. It looks like jewelry, beautiful.

If you get a WalMart Remington and take it apart you're starting with a $500 action that needs another $480 worth of work to straighten is out.
When done it's good, but the clone is a bit better for $50 less.

You'll never sell the take-off parts, the mediocre barrel or the hard plastic stock. You see classified adds from people who have whole closets full of take off's "for sale cheap!"

gun)

The best clone action is a Stiller. Their machining is flawless, and they use PT&G bolts. The PT&G bolt is built with an M16 type extractor, for $930 it comes ready for the smith to build on. It looks like jewelry, beautiful.....

I have two Stillers, great action though neither came with nor were offered with an M-16 extractor, both came with a Sako extractor. Is this a new offering?

t

You can go to Academy and buy a 700 ADL special for $379.99 all day long. And for $450 worth of smithing, that should include truing, bedding, floating, chambering and fitting your new barrel blank.

That Deviant is a fine looking action, and identical to my BAT with the integral lug and integral 20 MOA rail. That is a couple hundred less than I paid Bruno's for my action as well.

Mudrunner, I would bet you would have a darn good shooting hunting rifle when done with the Remy as you described it. I've had a couple done as you described, and both made right around .5 MOA rifles.
My long range varmint rifle was built with the intention of making a .25 MOA rifle for loooooong range varmint shooting. As such everything is custom including a tight neck chamber. I'm not sure if I have a sure-enough .25 MOA rifle, because I am not consistent enough to know. What I do know is that I sure hit a lot more varmints at longer ranges than I have ever shot before.
I hope to improve my skills enough to shoot to the full potential of this rifle.

That Deviant is a fine looking action, and identical to my BAT with the integral lug and integral 20 MOA rail. That is a couple hundred less than I paid Bruno's for my action as well.

Mudrunner, I would bet you would have a darn good shooting hunting rifle when done with the Remy as you described it. I've had a couple done as you described, and both made right around .5 MOA rifles.
My long range varmint rifle was built with the intention of making a .25 MOA rifle for loooooong range varmint shooting. As such everything is custom including a tight neck chamber. I'm not sure if I have a sure-enough .25 MOA rifle, because I am not consistent enough to know. What I do know is that I sure hit a lot more varmints at longer ranges than I have ever shot before.
I hope to improve my skills enough to shoot to the full potential of this rifle.
Yeah, I just built it (minus smith work, wich should cost me about $450), on Brownells website, and INCLUDING a NF NXS 5.5-22x56 MOAR, I am looking right at 3,500+ smithing. So right around $4K setup, and it should be one nasty rig.

Last night I pulled out the long-rangers out of the safe and was admiring my hard-earned money over the years, and I think I have decided that for a hunting rifle, I will go with a Weatherby AccuMark contour barrel polished stainless with the black flutes. I think that would look sick! But I'm still torn between the AccuMark contour and the Sendero contour. The Sendero contour will shoot great, but is heavier than the AccuMark contour...

I'm leaning towards calling Kreiger and getting an Accumark .284 blank that has been polished with the black flutes, but hasn't been chambered or threaded.....Wonder how much that will cost me? Bet she'd be one slick shooter that would still be light enough for me to tote in and out of the woods...

I've got a Kreiger on the long ranger described above.
My elk rifle is closer to the rifle you just described. It too uses a custom action, Stiller Predator,
fluted #4 Satern barrel, Manners MCS-SL stock, and I have a NF 2.5-10 on it. Scoped it weighs about 8 lbs. Nice carrying gun, and a half-moa shooter. My big game rifles shoot a lot more marmots than they will ever shoot big game, and last years furthest kill was 592 yards.
I did some shooting at 856 and it was still shooting 5".

I have to admit to an absolute lust for a custom sendero type rifle. I have a Cooper 22-250 of very similar build with their varmint contour barrel. With the walnut stock and a 6-24x50 IOR it weighs about 10 lbs. Not a light-weight, but good enough to carry. I believe such a rifle has enough heft and rigidity of components to make a 1000 yard gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.