Best 6mm hunting bullet

nelson

My little hunting buddy Jacob has purchased a savage in .243 to go hunting with me. He has saved up the cash to go elk hunting not bad for a 12 year old with a paper route and a lawn mower. Anyway I know the .243 is pretty light for elk but I will back him up with the big gun, any suggestions as far as a good tough bullet for this application Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Use a bullet thats known to be tough. I would opt for something like a 100g partition, or one of the heavier Barnes bullets, even though I dont like Barnes, they do havea a special purpose. Pick his shot very carefully, and I'm sure any elk out to 300 yards or so is in serious trouble.

i like the 95g partition a little better than the 100. but thats just splitting hairs i suppose.

theres a 115 barnes original, but its also a round nose.

the 105 amax would be a good one also if his gun will stabilize em.

pretty much any bullet for big game will work well from the 243 because he will have to pick his shots fairly carefully. a high lung shot that also shocks the spine would be my pick with the 6mm.

try to have him shoot ur bigger gun a few times before the hunt so if he needs it for a shoulder shot or other less than perfect place, he can shoot it. how big is the "big gun" anyway?

243 is definantly pretty light but if you are gonna back hime up then I guess things should work out. I would tell ya to look at the heavy partition bullets or the barnes bullets. There is also the old fashioned sierra gameking in a 100gr bullet, nothing real special but fairly solid bullet.

I would tell ya to stay away from the 105amax, it is a extrememly light constructed bullet and I would be afraid of hitting anything very solid with it. I have seen it open up quite a bit at 1100yds on prairie dogs!!!

good luck
steve

The 85 Grain Barnes TSX at 3,100. Make sure you start loading at the very minimum. I found this bullet develops pressure real quick. You want to stay away with any thin jacketed bullets in case he accidently hits the front shoulder of an elk at close range. I have a friends wife that did this and 12 hours later and 7 miles of tracking they fortunately were lucky to catch up with the wounded bull. The bull had 12 243's installed in him also! Needless to say she shoots a 7-08 now. Nice 350 Bull though and its hanging on their wall with a 243 hole in one antler! I would either go with the Nosler Partition or the Barnes.

The nosler partition or the hornady sst should work if placed right. I have reloaded for several 243 rifles using the partition with good results. The sst seems to be a little more accurate and rides the wind better but out to a couple hundred yards the difference is minimal.

[ QUOTE ]
its hanging on their wall with a 243 hole in one antler!

[/ QUOTE ]

thats one tough bull huh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

haha j/k

that 7mm08 would be better for the kid for sure. its somethin to think about.......

I agree with you Biff. I've tried to turn every beginner to a 7-08 from a 243. Same case, but so practical and versatile. 308 kicks a bit more but it is also a wonderful choice and it can be loaded down.

I have shot a lot of game with the .243. i have loaded a lot of 243 rounds. i have worn out 2 barrels. knowing its strengths ( accurracy and low recoil) and its weakness ( a little under powered for elk). i would shoot the hornady 100 grain light magnum ammo if i did not reload. i have seen elk killed with a 243. one with my 95 nosler partition handloads and one with 100 grain sierra btsp. both required two rounds at least. for hand loads i would use a 90 or 95 barnes. the nosler partion is the "original " premium bullet ; i don't think they are "tough"; the front half acts like a hornady sx. shoot the elk in the heart and you will have elk steaks. roninflag

This morning I chronographed the 85 Barnes TSX at 3,330 with .5 3 shot group and no pressure. H4350 x 43 grains. Started at 39 grains and got measuable case head expansion at 44 grains. My 15 year old daughter is flinching with her 7-08 and she may have to use this to shoot her bull this year. If it is well placed this bullet will get the job done.

I agree Barnes bullets in my .243 Drop Nevada Mule Deer and Antelope and no issues with the cow elk either............... bullet placement.