Best 6.5 bullet for elk??

117g GS Custom HV. It will run in the 8 twist easy. Or my second choice is the Swift Scirroco 130g.

Steve

AcurC Level, Inc.

Welcome, perhaps you'd like to become a Sponsor so you are not violating the rules?

Unless you are a paid Sponsor you may not do anything on the site designed primarily to promote your own business.

You may not link to any commercial non-Sponsor website in your signature. You may not include the name of any non-Sponsor business in your Username, Signature or in your Public Profile including the Home Page found there. This rule applies whether or not you are the owner of the business. You may not have a User Name that promotes your business (Bill's Accurate Guns). You may not post a message that is for the purpose of promoting your business with either text or pictures. Non-Sponsors may post replies of a helpful nature that involve topics related to their trade or type of business in response to requests for such general information from other members. Non-Sponsor forum members engaged in a profit making enterprise who receive a direct request for their services or products in a thread may post "PM Sent" or "email sent" and the conduct their business off line.

Sponsors are allowed to post anywhere in the forums.

[email protected]

Say u have a frontal shot? Would u take it with the vld? What about the same scenario at 25 yds. That's my concern. Killed a lot of critters with the bergers just not elk.

Roy
I would be very careful taking a frontal shot on an elk with a vld bullet. It would have to be at a distance that I could positively put it through the windpipe into the chest cavity( not easy) or right under the chin into the spine, (preferable for me). Inside of 150 its the base of the ear if I get the shot.
I have only shot the 6.5 for 2 seasons after 40+ years with 30 cal. rifles so I am still learning quite a bit with each animal I dress out.
I am in the heavy for caliber camp, a 160gr bullet has an s.d. of .328. which equals a 215gr 30 cal bullet.
that's my 2 cents.
Cliff

My rifle (6.5-300wm @ 3225fps) took a cow elk with 140gr Amax's in August. It was a facing chest shot and she dropped at the shot. It didn't require a second shot. My dad shot one with a 162 Amax out of a 7STW too.

GS Custom Made the 117 and the 128 HV on a request from us this summer. They are not on the web site. We have a couple of rifles that will be ready to shoot at the end of the month in 7 twist for the 128's. The 117 wants a 7.5 twist for under 500yard hunting. I will be trying it in a 8.5 twist 6.5-06 tonight. It is on the edge of working...I will post what I find. Hopefully find a powder combo tonight and shoot it long on the weekend.

How do I post a pic from my cell phone? They are 1.455 in long and beautiful. Expecting a bc about .6

Steve

GS Custom Made the 117 and the 128 HV on a request from us this summer. They are not on the web site. We have a couple of rifles that will be ready to shoot at the end of the month in 7 twist for the 128's. The 117 wants a 7.5 twist for under 500yard hunting. I will be trying it in a 8.5 twist 6.5-06 tonight. It is on the edge of working...I will post what I find. Hopefully find a powder combo tonight and shoot it long on the weekend.

How do I post a pic from my cell phone? They are 1.455 in long and beautiful. Expecting a bc about .6

Steve

I think you post pics from your phone the same way as from you PC although it doesn't seem to work on my phone.

Will be interested in the results.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.