Best .338 long range precision barrel???

tacsniper0888

Hey guys. My Remington 700 Sendero .338 win mag long range precision rifle build I'd coming along slowly but surely. I have decided I am going to rebarrel as now is the time instead of later. I called and spoke personally with Mr. Lilja of Lilja barrels Friday and with a customer service rep at shilen. What about kreiger or obermeyer? I was actually looking for a 5R or 3 groove type rifling instead of the conventional 6 groove in .338 caliber if possible with a finished barrel length of 27"-29" possibly even 30". Muzzle will be threaded for muzzle brake. Would like to keep the barrel fluted as came from the factory. Stainless vs. standard chrome moly not sure of yet. Guys any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated as this is something I don't mind paying top dollar for but only want to do it once! Thanks guys.

Hey guys. My Remington 700 Sendero .338 win mag long range precision rifle build I'd coming along slowly but surely. I have decided I am going to rebarrel as now is the time instead of later. I called and spoke personally with Mr. Lilja of Lilja barrels Friday and with a customer service rep at shilen. What about kreiger or obermeyer? I was actually looking for a 5R or 3 groove type rifling instead of the conventional 6 groove in .338 caliber if possible with a finished barrel length of 27"-29" possibly even 30". Muzzle will be threaded for muzzle brake. Would like to keep the barrel fluted as came from the factory. Stainless vs. standard chrome moly not sure of yet. Guys any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated as this is something I don't mind paying top dollar for but only want to do it once! Thanks guys.

My first choice would be LiLja for many reasons. Next would be any of the other premium barrels
like Kriger,Hart Etc as long as they were the select grade.(Lilja only makes one barrel grade and
it is as close to perfict as I have found.

By the stainless barrel for more life and low maintenance and care.

Dan can build you almost any barrel that you want but the 6 groove is a good groove count for
the .338. or he wouldn't build them.

His barrels and service are second to none.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

I have 3 rifles built with Lilja barrels (300wm, 338 rum, 300rum) all are very accurate. The 300rum is a 3 groove. I did research here on this site before going with the 3 groove and there were varying opinions, talked with Dan about it too, really impressed with it. Yes, I would recommend Lilja barrels.

Another vote for Lilja! My latest is a 30" SS, 1:8, 3-groove, #6 contour for my .270 AI. Very pleased of the service and quality of Dan's work ... plus he's a super nice guy from Montana. :) :) :).

P4260166.jpg

P4250161.jpg

Because I bought a replacement one piece fluted bolt from Dave Kiff out at PT&G with a magnum bolt face for the win mag before I decided to rebarrel and I can't send it back. Plus all my brass and dies are win mag. If I can use the same bolt I would love to do that as that mimics the ballistics of the .338 Lapua the best! Any suggestions guys? And so far lilja has the vote. Keep the info coming guys. Thanks.

Because I bought a replacement one piece fluted bolt from Dave Kiff out at PT&G with a magnum bolt face for the win mag before I decided to rebarrel and I can't send it back. Plus all my brass and dies are win mag. If I can use the same bolt I would love to do that as that mimics the ballistics of the .338 Lapua the best! Any suggestions guys? And so far lilja has the vote. Keep the info coming guys. Thanks.

The 338 Ultra uses the same bolt head as the 338 Win as the RUM is a rebated rim cartridge. I can't say anything good or bad about Lilja as I've never used one. I have used & still have Shilen (2x), Krieger & Obermeyer (2x). If you intend to go with factory flutes, that should disqualify Shilen (obviously) as well as Obermeyer. Don't get me wrong, Boots invented 5R! He makes a **** fine barrel however, his fluting isn't what I would call top shelf :rolleyes:

Hope that helps to muddy the waters a little :D

t

I got a fluted barrel from Krieger that was a couple shelves below the top too.

Thanks guys. I may give obermeyer a call. I'm very interested in the 5R or 3 groove type rifling versus conventional. I can see how they can be advantageous.

I'd have a hard time not getting a Krieger in .338. I've seen a ton of accurate barrels from Krieger and every .338 was exceptionally accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.