Best 300 rum under $1000

Ditto what martinakl says - on paper the Browning Max Long Range is a bargain at about $1,000 (I think there's a $50 rebate now too). Not sure how they shoot, seem to be few reviews especially in 300 RUM.

Not many choices in 300 RUM. The Remington 700 is overrated - it is an old design and quality control has been spotty. Many shoot very well but if you look through the gun boards there are numerous complaints. Triggers are terrible, but they have 2 things going for them:

1 - There are a lot of aftermarket replacements
2 - The swap is easy

If you go that route I would try to buy one that I could examine first.

Hey guys looking to buy a new rifle in 300 RUM. I like the looks of the Remington AWR but hard to find good reviews on the caliber. I prefer Ruger but not gonna be able to find one it doesn't appear. Any help would be much appreciated.
I owned the Browning A-bolt stalker, I do suggest a good quality muzzle brake though, these bad Mags deliver a punch. The total knock down power is unforgiving, these boys will reach out there and touch something with authority. I did sell mine, bought two replacements, Browning BAR in 300 WSM and the Sendero II in 300 Win mag, also have a T/C Encore with a great barrel in 300 Win Mag, I would suggest the AWR or if you can swing it, the Ruger. Good luck hunting and be safe.

Lots of people talking about Remington. I'd have a hard time paying 1k for a rifle that needs a trigger and a muzzle brake. Plus I simply don't like the design of the sendero stock or the weight of the rifle.

I'd look hard at the Browning hells canyon or tikka or begara if they chamber the rum.

I hate to ask but are you dead set on the rum? I owned one in a sako 75 many years ago and while i regret selling such a fine rifle it was way more than needed. IMO-the cost of ammo, recoil, muzzle blast and barrel life doesn't justify the gain in velocity.

It's not near as sexy but the good ole 300 wm almost anything the rum will do, has tons of quality loaded ammo and is a dream to load for. If you want sexy you could look into the 30 nos and 300 prc.

My greatest complaint with the rum is if you hand load you will want to add a wyatts extended mag box. This is barely long enough to work but is an improvement. Again, if looking at a rum in Remington your now talking about a trigger, brake and wyatts box. That puts you at low custom money.
And for that low custom money you can buy something like a Bergara Premier in 300 PRC ,set a cartridge spec'd off the shelf to shoot heavy long bullets with a threaded barrel. That means factory ammo is available with long heavy bullets and your SAAMI spec chamber is set up to accept them.

You can do this with a RUM, but you'll need a custom chamber and factory stuff is going to be way off the lands. A quick search on ammo seek looks like the most common bullet in a factory is a 180. Not really a long range best choice for a big 30 Cal.

Of course if you're a handloader and just want a custom project to play with all these points are moot.

Hey guys looking to buy a new rifle in 300 RUM. I like the looks of the Remington AWR but hard to find good reviews on the caliber. I prefer Ruger but not gonna be able to find one it doesn't appear. Any help would be much appreciated.
I'm kinda confused. Are you having trouble finding good reviews on the caliber or Remington? The 300UM is IMO the best 30 cal there is. People will differ but the ballistics don't lie. Get something at 26" min or don't bother. 28" better.

Based on the guns you mentioned. Im guessing you have $1000 budget. If it was $3000 Id tell you to buy a Christensen.
For the money find a slightly used older Rem Sendero. Back in the day they were the best of what Rem was capable of.
Ive owned 3. 2 in 300um and one in 338um. All shoot factory ammo 3/4". Hand loads 1/2" or less.

For just over $1,039 on Gun Broker, you can get a Browning X Bolt Max Long Range in 300 RUM.
McMillan type vertical comb stock w/adjustable cheek piece, stainless steel fluted 26" barrel w/muzzle brake, IMO one of the best factory barrels around, three lug 60 degree bolt, spacers for adjusting length of pull, 8 lbs. 7 oz.

I have a R700 Long Range, i bedded stock, Timney Trigger, and had barrel threaded for a muzzle brake. Muzzle brake tamed er down to where it is fun to shoot. Shooting the 210 ABLRs that I handload and am getting .75 moa at 300 yds. My loads also fit in mag. Good luck to ya.

Those options far exceed $1000, the Nightforce scope alone is more than what the original author of the thread is wanting to spend.

Problem with putting a cap on what rifle you'd like to have is that your stuck with options that don't blow one's hair back. If you want to get into the sport of long range shooting & hunting. Do it once and do it right, buy a custom rifle to your liking and thank the good lord that you have the financial resources yo treat yourself or your dad to that particular rifle.

you dont need a custom rifle anymore to "do it right" nowadays. Lots of good factory options out there for less than a custom that come with accuracy guarantees.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.