Best .30 Caliber Chambering

thomas1234

I am kind of new to the world of long range hunting and would like to buy a suitable gun. I'm definately going to use a 30 caliber bullet because of the popularity and availability but i dont have a clue on which chambering. I know this is a very opinionated subject and im pretty much just looking for facts on subjects like: Which cartridge will give me the highest muzzle velocity, least wind drift, and least amount of drop in elevation. I reload so availability of ammo isn't a big problem. Also, which 30 cal bullets do you suggest for long range hunting. Thanks

Unless it's changed again, the 300 WSM and 210 grain Berger VLD holds the current 1000 yard record. .300 Win. mag is a proven long range accuracy round, and I would venture to say the .308 is the most popular and proven accuracy round.
It will depend a lot on what you want to shoot and how far. You can't go wrong with one of these.

I am a fan of 300 RUM's. If your just starting out and wanted a gun that you can build on and plenty of power then a sendero in 300 RUM would be hard to beat. 300 WSM is also a good choice with a little less recoil to deal with and still good with the long range bullets as previously mentioned.

0-800 yard round: .308
800-1200 yard round: .300 win mag for LA and .300 WSM for SA

Personally, that's how I see it. If you need more MV and energy than that,
go with the .300 RUM

Ive seriously been looking at the 300 RUM in the Sendero platform. Do you think that the 300 RUM is a cartridge that it would be worth while to get a muzzle brake installed? Also, what are your opinions on your sendero, i kinda like the 700 just because of how versatile it is to modify and get parts for.

If you have to have raw velocity then there is the 30-378 or 7.82 Warbird for factory loadings. OR there are plenty of hyper velocity wildcats.

As always, I would try and talk you out of a hod rod. They can be tricky for a noobie and by the time you figure out how to optimize a hot 30, you have cooked two barrels.

A good happy medium is the 300 RSAUM or 300 WSM. These can be very accurate, have decent barrel life and in the hands of a skilled shooter, will kill stuff at ranges most can only dream of.

Retained energy and minimal windage have VERY LITTLE to do with hyper velocity and everything to do with high BC bullets. I have a 308 load that drifts less than the Lazzeroni 7.82 warbird at a full 1K yards despite a 900FPS muzzle velocity difference. Put that same bullet in a 300WM or WSM and your windage is minimized. Put it in a 30-378 and you will frustrate yourself.

If you need a 1400 yard deer rifle the 300 RUM is more justifiable. Even better would be something other than a 30 cal.

Think less MV, think more BC and trigger time.

Welcome to the world of LRH.

The good old 300 WM will serve you well. I'm a power junkie sometimes so I got rid of mine for the 300 RUM.

I think the 300WSM is a fine choice

I spent a good deal of time looking at the .338 Lapua Mag or .338 Edge. In terms of ballistics i would rather have the .338 than the .308 of course but can't justify the cost of even reloading those beasts. Those of you who shoot the 300 RUM, do you use muzzle brakes?

Highest velocity with the least wind drift and drop. The 300 RUM is your rifle if you do not mind a muzzle brake which it requires for accurate long range shooting. The 300 RUM is the fastest standard 30 caliber without getting into heavy barrel burners. It also is the fastest that is inherently accurate and easy to get to shoot well. If you do not want a muzzle brake then the 300 weatherby and 300 Winchester are next in that order. I have all of them and make long range shots regularly with all. If I am shooting beyond a half mile I prefer the 300 RUM for the energy it can put out there with a 200+ grain bullet.

I dont have any problem with a muzzle brake other than how much does it cost to get the barrel threaded?

I spent a good deal of time looking at the .338 Lapua Mag or .338 Edge. In terms of ballistics i would rather have the .338 than the .308 of course but can't justify the cost of even reloading those beasts. Those of you who shoot the 300 RUM, do you use muzzle brakes?

Your cost difference is minimal if any between a 338 RUM and a 300 RUM, anything that ends in RUM almost has to have a good brake IMO.

If you take anything away from this thread, take this:

300 RUMs are great ballistically and like others have mentioned, are by nature very accurate. That said, IF you take care of it, it will take care of you. It is VERY unforgiving if you try and hot rod it or milk every last bit of velocity out of it. IT DOES NOT LIKE high pressure loads. Your barrel will not survive it. Take it easy and you will be satsified. Start chasing hyper velocity and you will be very dissapointed.

Im sorry but when you say hot rodding it are you reffering to shooting fast or shooting fast loads?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts