Best 30-06 Factory Load

The best for what? In what rifle? If money is no object there are usually few complaints about Federal factory ammo using the Barnes triple shock bullets.

It may help you to go to Midway's website and lookup the ammo you want to and read the individual reviews one by one.

No guarentees for accuracy in your rifle but Hornady 165 grain interbond Light Mags shoot well (3/4"@100yds) in my Savage. I chronyd them at 2950 FPS from a 22" barrel. Great terminal performance on both elk and whitetails.

For what use? The 30-06 is a poor elephant round, it's way excessive for prairie dogs, but it's exceptional for medium to medium large North American game. Will the rifle be used for target work, 1000 yd competition of will it hunt? What will it hunt? Will it be used for long range, or just 100 yd whitetails? Elk? Bear? Moose?

Let's say it will be used for elk to antelope, probably at no more than 300 yds, and probably much closer on average.

He sounds like he's going to be getting a 300WSM also.

Nothing is excessive for prarie dogs lol, unless it really hurts alot when u shoot it (read my signature) lol.

My hunting buddy does all the sighting in of rifles for a gun shop, around 200 or so every deer season. For those that don't shoot hand loads they use Federal plain Jane blueish colored box ammo. They have found that it is some of the most accurate factory ammo they have ever found in about any caliber. I go to the range with him when over there hunting and I can attest to it's accuracy. I don't know how the bullet does on game but no one has come into the shop complaining. As accurate as this ammo is you could eye ball shoot game. A 165 gr. bullet from a 30-06 placed in the vitals will take on most any game short of the BIG bears in the USA. But for antelope and WT deer take a good look at a 125 gr bullet. If you hand load the 125 gr Nosler ballistic tip at 3000 to 3100 fps is a real deer killer. Since I started using this bullet in my 30X47 HBR and 308 Win. I have killed around 15 WT deer from 50 yards to 300 yards and have not had a single one take a step after being hit. Bang Flop.

for elk the federal" high energy "180 nosler partitions. shoots less than an inch out of my 700 titanium. would be fine for deer too. or any 165. you won't know until you try some different ones. ron

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.