Best 25-06 factory ammo for Elk

First off, I know that 25-06 is on the small end for elk. I know a lot of people advise not shooting anything smaller than a 300 win mag at Elk. I'm well aware of the limitations of using a 25-06 for elk. However, I do know that a lot of people have harvested elk with a 25-06. For those that have had experience with harvesting Elk with a 25-06 or are familiar with the cartridge, what factory ammo would you recommend?

Would you go something like Federal Premium 115gr partition, Federal Premium 110 Accubond, or something like a 100 grain mono (Barnes TTSX, Hornady GMX, Federal Trophy Copper Tipped)?

It will be my son's first year to hunt, and he is very small for his age. He is always among the smallest in his entire grade. Very small frame. I don't want him developing a flinch at such a young age. I figure I would back up his shot with my 30-06 in case the elk doesn't look like it is going down.

I know I could maybe move up in caliber with a good muzzle break, but I really don't like them. I would like to hear from the 25-06 people what rounds they have had success with.
Don't use Berger 115 VLD. Too explosive.

My daughters have used a 243 with 85gr tsx for most of their elk in the past. That being said I would shoot the partition, accubond, or something similar. I have recovered a couple of the Barnes and all the petals are broke off. Going to see if the accubonds will shoot out of it. All of the shots were kept under 200 yards.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
My daughters have used a 243 with 85gr tsx for most of their elk in the past. That being said I would shoot the partition, accubond, or something similar. I have recovered a couple of the Barnes and all the petals are broke off. Going to see if the accubonds will shoot out of it. All of the shots were kept under 200 yards.
How did the 243 with BarnesTSX work on elk? Why are you switching? That expanded tax looks like it retained most of its weight, looks like a good bullet.

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone tried the HSM 115 VLD factory ammo? The specs on it look pretty darn good. The only question is if the 115 VLD is a tough enough bullet...?
I have. I've killed two elk in OR using HSM Berger 115 VLD in my 257 Weatherby. Both animals were killed under similar circumstances; quartering away right to left, bullet behind the left shoulder. Sorry to report that I did lose some meat on the right front shoulder. One at 300 yards the other at 330. Both staggered a few yards then dropped.

Caliber has a little to what you do,but practice and shot placement are key. Every bull I have taken has been taken by head shots. I do not shoot 1000 yes. I work my way in and take a more higher percentage shot.

I've taken a number of elk with Hornady 120 gr. hollowpoint bullets , all one shot kills , I've shot many deer antelope elk with that bullet and it's a awesome killer , and being a hollowpoint it doesn't deform in the magazine.

First off, I know that 25-06 is on the small end for elk. I know a lot of people advise not shooting anything smaller than a 300 win mag at Elk. I'm well aware of the limitations of using a 25-06 for elk. However, I do know that a lot of people have harvested elk with a 25-06. For those that have had experience with harvesting Elk with a 25-06 or are familiar with the cartridge, what factory ammo would you recommend?

Would you go something like Federal Premium 115gr partition, Federal Premium 110 Accubond, or something like a 100 grain mono (Barnes TTSX, Hornady GMX, Federal Trophy Copper Tipped)?

It will be my son's first year to hunt, and he is very small for his age. He is always among the smallest in his entire grade. Very small frame. I don't want him developing a flinch at such a young age. I figure I would back up his shot with my 30-06 in case the elk doesn't look like it is going down.

I know I could maybe move up in caliber with a good muzzle break, but I really don't like them. I would like to hear from the 25-06 people what rounds they have had success with.
I've shot Elk with 22-250 53 GR BTHP one head shot is all it takes one heart or Lung shot with HP bullets does the job.

How did the 243 with BarnesTSX work on elk? Why are you switching? That expanded tax looks like it retained most of its weight, looks like a good bullet.
After the front breaks off there is not much expansion left. Most are pass throughs with a small wound channel. Most took a second shot, they did not work as well as larger calibers. These are good .280 expansion vs the .243.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    686.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
My first adult hunting rifle I purchased for myself was a Ruger Model 77 Heavy Barrel in 25-06. It liked everything I fed it. I took two bull elk and three deer with it. The first elk and deer were taken with 120 gr. Speer Grand Slams. The other elk and two deer were taken with Barnes TSX in 115 gr. Both of these bullets were hand loads, but find factory ammo with either a bonded core (accubond, etc.) or a monolithic bullet (barnes, hammer, gmx, etc) in the heaviest bullet available and you will do fine.