Best 243 Win bullet

Bear2

Which would be the better 243 win bullet for speed goats and mule deer, the 100 gr Nosler Partition, or 95 gr Bal. tip? Appreciate all comments.

All of my experience with the Bal. Tip has been great. Ever animal taken has been a one shot drop. I think this particularly happens because of the mad expansion and the shock of the Bal. Tip. Personally, it's the only way to go. However, if you are worried about meat, I would go for a head shot (This is what I have started doing). If I go for the shoulder shot, I usually get a ruined 1/4 of meat. Good luck,
Preston

well, i use a .234WSSM AR-15 but the bullet is what you were asking about. I COMPLETELY agree with SkyScrapin. Unless it is a "wall hanger" I am a head hunter as well. You dont have to deal with a messed up body cavity, chunks of rib cage, shattered shoulder blades and all that nonsense. I personally wait until i have a clear shot at the back of the head with the critter looking away from me. It maximizes the possibility of hitting the brain, while minimizing the chance of hitting the face (i know from experience that this will give you night mares and make you feel terrible about being a hunter if you happen to clip them in the nose or jaw)
as for bullets( since i seem to have gotten off track)
I use 75gr Vmax w ballistic tips for goats, but am moving up to 105gr BTHP Nosler Custom Competition as soon as my 75Vmax supply runs out.
My Vmax seem to have trouble staying together on impact. On more than one occasion, i have found fragmented bits of jacket in my meat.

Searra .85 gr. HPBT. Very accurate and devastating. Hit them 3 inches above the heart and just behind the front leg and they are dead before their knees buckle 100% of the time. Hit them in the heart and they kick up their back legs and run like the dickens.

joseph

Which would be the better 243 win bullet for speed goats and mule deer, the 100 gr Nosler Partition, or 95 gr Bal. tip? Appreciate all comments.

Either bullet will perform well for you. Do both of them shoot well in your rifle? if so, flip a coin to make your choice. If you haven't shot either, then test them both and choose the one that shoots best.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.