Best 200 Grain Hunting bullet for 300 WBY (Berger)?

curious....would you have taken the shot above at the quartering away elk with a Berger?
You're situation isn't absolute. Would I have shot the bull quartering away at 650 with a 215 berger from my WM? Absolutely and have, but I wouldn't have shot through the femur intentionally. First of all that's a VERY small target. I would have put the shot just behind the femur as I have many times with excellent results.

I shoot a 300rum and bergers 210vld is a absoulute match grade killer ive killed alot with it nothing has had be trailed i killed one mule deer in Nevada at 1406 yds 94 grain retumbo 210 berger 28" barrel its awesome

You're situation isn't absolute. Would I have shot the bull quartering away at 650 with a 215 berger from my WM? Absolutely and have, but I wouldn't have shot through the femur intentionally. First of all that's a VERY small target. I would have put the shot just behind the femur as I have many times with excellent results.
What do you think would have happened if your 215 Berger had hit the femur? Would it have reach the chest cavity?

What do you think would have happened if your 215 Berger had hit the femur? Would it have reach the chest cavity?
The 215 out of my rifle would have, but at 650 sure would not have been my shot choice. Elk have a large vital area. You op made it sound like hitting the femur was the intent of the shot, not the result.

The 215 out of my rifle would have, but at 650 sure would not have been my shot choice. Elk have a large vital area. You op made it sound like hitting the femur was the intent of the shot, not the result.
Reread my posts. He missed his aim by a couple of inches.

I'm impressed you have the skill, gun, and anatomy knowledge to always slide by the femur. Good for you. Not everyone can.

we'll just have to disagree about a Berger's ability to break heavy bone and reach the vitals.

I'm impressed you have the skill, gun, and anatomy knowledge to always slide by the femur. Good for you. Not everyone can.

we'll just have to disagree about a Berger's ability to break heavy bone and reach the vitals.
We can agree to disagree. We all have different opinions and experiences. I don't believe there's a perfect bullet for every situation. I love accubonds for ranges under 600 yards but I love Bergers for everything beyond that. I also feel the 215 hybrid is definitely a tougher bullet than many of the other Berger bullets. People like to just call all Bergers the same, they're not just like all Noslers aren't the same. Accubonds do not expand well at longer ranges/lower velocities like cup and core bullets do.
I only responded to your post because it came across as a Berger bash.

Wishing you ands yours a Happy New Year...

ive broke both shoulders with a vld hunting maybe im lucky but my 300 and bergers have never let me down ive never recovered one all exited off side usually with a hole size of my fist

I'll put a 215 places I won't a 200 gr Accubond, I have seen multiple Accubonds fail on heavy elk bone, they give you no more shot opportunity than a Berger!!

happy new year

The OP specifically ask for The best 200 gr bullet for a 300 Wby.

Its was wrong of me not asking for intended distance. Obviously I like stout bullets. Nosler claims expansion down to 1800 fps. Let's say 2200. With a 300 Roy at 3000fps and elk altitudes that means 650-700 yards or so. And I'd much rather have the AB of up close and personal.

I would have said it's that 600 + yards where Berger begin to hold together on bone.

I actually carry a 160AB for under 600 with my 7 STW and a 162ABLR for past (it shoots the ABLR really well).

I believe every bullet has it place. Since most of my hunting is under 600 yards I shoot AB and LRX's.

also I think that starting with the heavier .30 calibers and up gives one a lot more leeway.

How small are the deer you have down there. what is the rough size of the deer that u are talking about. I shoot one deer here and I can feed a family of three for half a year
They aren't that small. I live in L zone in west TN where the guy posting this is from. You may remember the world record is from here, although it looks like it's been unseated as of last month. Me and my family eat at least a dozen a year. When I was in my teens and 20's I'd kill 50+ some seasons. We eat deer probably 4 days a week. Between breakfast sausage, summer sausage, steaks, and using grind everywhere you use ground beef, I can get rid of a deer awful fast. I'd say we're probably through 2 deer and on the third since September, and maybe more. Much of it is sausage and huge piles of grind, so it's hard to be accurate with usage.

I shoot 200gr eldx factory loads in my 300bee. I wish I could tell you what they do when they hit an elk, but I haven't had a chance to test them yet. I have zero terminal ballistic data on this load. I have however killed whitetail with the eldx in about 5 other cartridges, and unlike some folks, it has done exactly what it should each of the 20+ times I've killed with it. The out of the box accuracy of that ammo has been impressive in every rifle I've shot it in. I have a mark V arroyo, and with those factory loads I can hang just under 1moa, probably somewhere near .8 or .9 which suits me just fine..

Plus..........so much is made of shoulder shots and yet there is a lot of the elks (or deer or whatever) shoulder that if one runs a bullet thru it it's just not going to put the critter on the turf. Way too freaking much is made to do over hitting the shoulder.

IMHO...:)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.