Best 200 Grain Hunting bullet for 300 WBY (Berger)?

Sorry Lance I was actually butchering that bull and didn't really read your comment.

This is one place we will just have to disagree. If you have the right bullet/gun combination breaking the femur, or shoulder, and driving into the vitals is not a poorly placed shot. It is a viable option. It's one of the reason I like stout bullets.
I am often accused of carrying too much gun. If you can't penetrate a femur and plow into the vitals, then you didn't bring enough gun. That is literally the standard by which I choose which gun I carry on a hunt.

I've got a 300 WBY 200 gr. AB load using 84.0 gr. H1000 @2980 fps 10' from the muzzle. load COAL of 3.570, this is not a compressed load. This load has a 9 ES and shoots .75 moa. Barrel is a 26 inch 6 groove.

When I load 79.0 of H1000, I noticed the powder is compressing with 215 Bergers. Thinking I should shoot a shorter bullet like a 200 grain. Any advice what I should use on big deer - elk sized animals?
190 LRX. I shoot it in my 300 Weatherby 300 WinMag and 300 Saum

like others have said, seat your bullet longer, don't worry about a Little compression, and how's it shooting?
your 300 bee had so much freebore, its impossible to load to mag length and touch the rifling.

200 NABs (and NPs before that) used to be my go-to bullet until I transitioned to Bergers.
All around bullet I greatly perfer Accubonds to Bergers. Just yesterday I shot a 182# white tail through the last rib and it existed like this. Zero chance a berger made it through on this angle. And I love Bergers but they are a 400+ bullet for my useage. And I kill on average 70 deer a year with Bergers and eldm etc at long range.

Last edited:
All around bullet I greatly perfer Accubonds to Bergers. Just yesterday I shot a 182# white tail through the last rib and it existed like this. Zero chance a berger made it through on this angle. And I love Bergers but they are a 400+ bullet for my useage. And I kill on average 70 deer a year with Bergers and eldm etc at long range. View attachment 234667
All it matters is a humane harvest. I still have a few loads of 200 NABs on one of my .300 WM and 225 NABs on my .338 WM. Congrats, and enjoy some good eats.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.