Best 200 Grain Hunting bullet for 300 WBY (Berger)?

WEATHERBY460

When I load 79.0 of H1000, I noticed the powder is compressing with 215 Bergers. Thinking I should shoot a shorter bullet like a 200 grain. Any advice what I should use on big deer - elk sized animals?

Are you loading to mag length?
Can you load longer and fit in the mag?
Is that close to the lands?

The 215s tend to load long, but I have a 3.335" COAL load for a Ruger 300 WinMag that fits in the mag box. Doesn't crunch powder but not super fast either.

200.20x has worked very well for a few of my buddies.
A friend I was with just shot a nice bull at 650 yards quartering away with a 300 RUM and a 200gr AB at 3200 fps. He broke its femur and penetrated into the vitals. It went about 20 yards. I'm not sure I'd attempt that with a Berger???

Attachments

• B400F5A9-3266-40F0-88FB-93B504735406.jpeg
    B400F5A9-3266-40F0-88FB-93B504735406.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Very interesting findings. I have a 300 PRC that shoots 2950 FPS with same load, same bullet, both with 27" Bartlein barrels. The Weatherby shot 2880 FPS with same bullet, same load, also with a 27" Bartlein. I'm shocked how much slower the Wby is.

A friend I was with just shot a nice bull at 650 yards quartering away with a 300 RUM and a 200gr AB at 3200 fps. He broke its femur and penetrated into the vitals. It went about 20 yards. I'm not sure I'd attempt that with a Berger???
I wouldn't take that shot with a Berger either. Then again, I wouldn't take that shot with any bullet.
Quartering away, and a hit in the femur is a poorly placed shot. Glad it ended up well.

I wouldn't take that shot with a Berger either. Then again, I wouldn't take that shot with any bullet.
Quartering away, and a hit in the femur is a poorly placed shot. Glad it ended up well.
I absolutely agree. I wasn't shooting. He missed his aiming point. There wasn't going to be another opportunity.

Two points here: 1) the AB is enough bullet to miss your aim and still work even if you hit bone 2) You can intentionally take less than ideal shots and it will work. It would have worked fine through the ribs too.

I absolutely agree. I wasn't shooting. He missed his aiming point. There wasn't going to be another opportunity.

Two points here: 1) the AB is enough bullet to miss your aim and still work even if you hit bone 2) You can intentionally take less than ideal shots and it will work. It would have worked fine through the ribs too.
Better lucky than good sometimes! A full freezer doesn't know the difference.

Accubonds are always my bullet of choice, unless they don't make an accubond in the weight I want. However there's nothing wrong with compressing powder with the bullet as long as you're not having pressure signs. I wouldn't feel the need to change bullets just because you're compressing the powder. A few of my loads for guns I used to have compressed the powder a fair amount, and my current 30-06 load compresses 4831 too. Only worry about it if you have short brass life, or other pressure signs.

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Sorry Lance I was actually butchering that bull and didn't really read your comment.

This is one place we will just have to disagree. If you have the right bullet/gun combination breaking the femur, or shoulder, and driving into the vitals is not a poorly placed shot. It is a viable option. It's one of the reason I like stout bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts