Best 200 gr bullet for 300 WM?

WEATHERBY460

I am looking for a highly accurate 200 grain bullet to shoot out of a 28" 1 in 10 twist barrel. the Berger 200 grain hybrid seems to have the best bc. Are there any others I am missing?...thanks

The Hornady ELD-X, Nosler Accubond and in the Accubond LR they have 190 and 210gr offerings.

I'm not a big fan of the terminal performance of the Berger's but they shoot very well for a lot of people. Terminally though they have proven to be rather inconsistent with many penciling through and many shelling out completely with little or no penetration. I know several guys I respect a lot though who swear by them and have never reported a failure to expand properly. They also tend to be pretty temperamental when it comes to handloading and seating depth.

There's very little real world terminal performance on game data available so far on the ELD-X but what little there is I find to be positive.

For the Noslers, the Accubond is one of the most proven bullets ever produced and consistently performs well on game within the recommended velocities. I had no problems out of the Accubond LR's that I've used so far but like many others I found their highly inflated BC's rather offensive. They shot acceptibly well for me in 7mm STW's, 300wm's and 300Rums (I have several of each) but really see little improvement in them over the original accubond other than they will expand better at long range.

I realize what I am about to suggest is not a 200 gr bullet. Why wouldn't you use the Berger 215 target hybrid? It has shown to be an accurate LR killer and it beats the 200 gr with higher BC .616 vs .691 (G1 bc). Unless you are shooting below 1500 ft elevation, the bullet will stabilize just fine with a 1 in 10 twist.

Read Broz's account of this bullet where something like 22 big game animals are taken. His rifle barrel specs: 300 win mag, Broughton 5C Sendero contour 1 in 10 twist 28" long fluted by Broughton and a JP brake.

See if you agree with my assessment. Starting on this long thread where the documented game killing begins which goes on for pages:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/index14.html

215 Berger without question. One of the most forgiving bullets to develop a load for, and they kill extremely well. They are in my opinion a perfect bullet for the 300WM. Try some out with H1000, FED GM215M seated about 30-40 Thou off the lands.

215 Berger without question. One of the most forgiving bullets to develop a load for, and they kill extremely well. They are in my opinion a perfect bullet for the 300WM. Try some out with H1000, FED GM215M seated about 30-40 Thou off the lands.

+1... Berger 210 VLD or 215 Hybrid gets my vote, as well.

If it will shoot the 215 over 2900fps than go for it, the B/C wins. My 300 Win won't shoot the 215's.
On a previous barrel I had a load with the 200 Berger Hybrid at 2950fps that shot awesome. Last hunting season my sons and I killed 3 deer and a long range elk using the 200 Hybrids and I was very impressed. Here's more detail on those hunts:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/200gr-berger-hybrid-vs-215gr-hybrid-game-167894/

I am on a new factory barrel now and will be going back to the 200 Hybrids as I cannot get the 215's to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts