Best 10mm 1911 frame handgun for hunting?

cb4128

I recently sold my Glock 10mm because it just didn't fit me very well. I want to get another 10mm for whitetail and hogs and put an rmr on it for 75 yards and in hunting here in Texas.

I've done some quick research online, but does anyone have any experience with a 1911 frame 10mm that they like? Here's a few models that I've read about and are considering (don't want to spend $3k+ on a setup - so no Nighthawks or high end Kimbers, Dan Wesson's etc.)

Kimber Custom TL II
Kimber KHX Custom
Springfield TRP Operator
Springfield Ronin
Remington R1 long slide

Thanks for the help!

If you're not stuck on a 1911 frame, take a look at the Sig P220 Legion. It comes in a DA/SA and SA versions.
1st comment out of the gate, It only goes down hill from here
Really.gif

Dan Wesson

I had the doublestack rock island 10mm- 6" longslide pro match ultra. I put a heavier recoil spring and egw firing pin stop and a custom fitted oversize firing pin.
It was an awesome gun that shot super accurate--- but it was supposed to be a chest holster carry backup/hunting pistol and it was just too dang heavy for me ( 3 pounds empty before you add the 17 rounds) so I sold it for a lighter weight gun.

I had the doublestack rock island 10mm- 6" longslide pro match ultra. I put a heavier recoil spring and egw firing pin stop and a custom fitted oversize firing pin.
It was an awesome gun that shot super accurate--- but it was supposed to be a chest holster carry backup/hunting pistol and it was just too dang heavy for me ( 3 pounds empty before you add the 17 rounds) so I sold it for a lighter weight gun.
Double stack is not a 1911. Sure, marketing wants us to believe it is, but it isn't.

1st comment out of the gate, It only goes down hill from here
View attachment 302073
unfortunately, he is correct imo... I like the looks of the p220 a lot more than the 1911 for a bigger high pressure round like the 10mm... If I were stuck to the 1911, I'd buy a Dan Wesson and forget the truck guns...

STI would be my vote
I have an STI in 45acp and love it. But I thought they got out of the 1911 game a few years ago? Finding a used one in good condition might be hard but not impossible. That said, I would still go Colt Delta Elite. Or I would build one off a Caspian frame. I've done that a few times too and you get exactly the internals you want for much less than some of the high end production options, and accuracy is superior if your smith does a good job.