Best <$1000 spotting scope

wilkup

Looking for a the best spotter in this price range for hunting this year. I've got a set of 10x42 Trijicon HDs, but would like to increase my capability to locate animals
Ready?
Set.
Go!

Backpack, public land hunter in the central Cascades of the PNW. Weight is always a consideration but definitely not a deal breaker for me. 8-12 miles and 2-6,000' of elevation is the typical range of my days. Quality glass that allows me to see further out would be a major game changer for me and probably cut down on my mileage ;)

Backpack, public land hunter in the central Cascades of the PNW. Weight is always a consideration but definitely not a deal breaker for me. 8-12 miles and 2-6,000' of elevation is the typical range of my days. Quality glass that allows me to see further out would be a major game changer for me and probably cut down on my mileage ;)
if you are gaining lots of elevation each day, I'd avoid any of the 80+mm scopes. Stepping down to a 65 will save weight, but you lose clarity I less you buy higher end glass. In your case I'd shop hard for 65mm non-hd swaro, will cost you a bit more than $1000 but you'll never regret it, and it will hold it's value for years.

if you are gaining lots of elevation each day, I'd avoid any of the 80+mm scopes. Stepping down to a 65 will save weight, but you lose clarity I less you buy higher end glass. In your case I'd shop hard for 65mm non-hd swaro, will cost you a bit more than $1000 but you'll never regret it, and it will hold it's value for years.
Just to summarize...
- 80+mm offers better picture quality, but at the cost of increased weight
- 65mm offers lighter weight, but at the cost of lower picture quality
- Spending more will offset lower picture quality of a 65mm
I know Zeiss and Swaro will provide best clarity, but I'm really stretching for the $1,000 max. Maybe in the coming years I'll make the leap, but I just can't do it right now.

Ive had a few of the gen1 razor hd spotters in different sizes, for the money I really liked them. I did upgrade to a swaro and yes no doubt its nicer but the razor is still impressive. They come up well below your budget in the classifieds pretty often and do carry an indestructible warranty, worst case if you don't like it im sure you could sell for same or close to what you pick up a used one for.
good luck on the search

I'd save for a little while longer being that hunting season is still a couple months away. You can get a good used Swarovski 65mm for $1200-$1300. Buy once cry once

Ill just throw these out there as an idea of what I've thought about
- (Used) Vortex Razor HD 27-60x85
- (Used) Meopta Meopta 20-60x80
- (New) Bushnell Forge ?-?x80
- (Used) Swaro/Zeiss ?-?x80
I'd prefer the larger objective and regarding extra weight, I'll just suck it up. I ran my 10x binos off bipod to save weight the past couple years.

I had a gen 1 Vortex Razor HD 65mm spotter for 2 years. It was a good spotter and wasn't too heavy to pack. For the price, these are very good. I did upgrade to a Swaro spotter, but I still consider my Vortex to be good glass.

I had a gen 1 Vortex Razor HD 65mm spotter for 2 years. It was a good spotter and wasn't too heavy to pack. For the price, these are very good. I did upgrade to a Swaro spotter, but I still consider my Vortex to be good glass.
That's really good to know. Which assaro did you upgrade to and how does it compare with Razor HD?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.