Best “simple” rangefinder with MOA

Sig Kilo 5k is a very good choice and works well in all conditions I have used it in. One thing to keep in mind is the age of technology. The best performance will be in a newer design. Sig 5k came out around august of 2021 and it outperforms older models that sold for much more. Some people value there toys by how much they paid for them back in the day. Newer designs work much better and cost much less. Older technologies still work and for those that love them… carry on. Sig 5k can be had for about $600. You can spend a lot more but may not be gaining any performance. I have owned Gunworks G7/BR2 circa 2018, Leica 2800 circa 2020, Leica 3500 circa 2021, and now I use the Sig 5k Circa 8/2021. As stand alone rangefinders they all functioned well.

$499 is a deal! Bought mine as demo also and box was sealed and never opened.
My opinion… Eurooptic uses the term "Demo" to get around fixed manufacturers pricing. I called on a Demo Nightforce NX8 scope and they said yes it was out of stock but they would send me a new one for the same demo price. Done!

I recommend saving money and weight by saving up for range finding binoculars with an onboard ballistic engine.
Currently I use older Bushnell ARC 1Mile rangefinders and their small ballistic "library" that I proof on the range.

Carrying both binoculars and a monocular rangefinder is cumbersome to use together and adds extra weight.

I recommend saving money and weight by saving up for range finding binoculars with an onboard ballistic engine.
Currently I use older Bushnell ARC 1Mile rangefinders and their small ballistic "library" that I proof on the range.

Carrying both binoculars and a monocular rangefinder is cumbersome to use together and adds extra weight.
That is ultimately my plan....but for the price, I will start with the Kilo5k for now. When I'm ready to upgrade, I'll sell it and buy some RF binos.

My son missed a spike elk a few years ago that bothered him for a long time since he spent a lot of time working for just an opportunity like this. It was cold, with about 5 inches of snow and a fair amount of wind coming through the canyon. The elk was bedded so he was in no hurry and took his time getting into a prone position and take several readings with his Kestrel to get an idea of the wind. He used a Sig rangefinder to get the yardage which, if I remember correctly, was just a little over 500 yards. At the shot he hit very low and threw snow all over the spike. Windage was spot on. He said the shot felt good and he could see the hit in the snow and could not understand how he could have missed.

Some time later he was using the same rangefinder while golfing and noticed he seemed to be getting inaccurate readings. The battery was low but still working but the distances were off by 12 yards or so over the distance of less than 200 yards...always short compared to a companions rangefinder. He put a fresh battery in and it matched the other rangefinder. Since then he has wondered if the cold weather could have caused an inaccurate reading on the elk.

I have been wanting to purchase a rangefinder that would give me a shooting solution for a long time so I did all the reading I could find on the subject but could never find one that worked quite like I wanted. Doing all this research I came across numerous people having issues with Sig rangefinders in cold (single digit or less) weather and quite a few others who had other issues and had to send them back for replacements, some more than once. When Revic came out with the BR4 it seemed like what I was looking for and it's predecessor, the BR2, seemed to have good reviews other than it's bulky size so I bought the BR4. My son and I just returned from a 5 day camping trip to do some shooting and try out the BR4. We had two 8" plates and two 1 gallon milk jugs full of water set up across one canyon at distances from around 715 yards to 730 yards and a couple more milk jugs set in another location with a rather steep downhill angle one at 495 yards and the other at around 515. My son fired one shot at each of the targets using the BR4 and hit all 6. Two of the shots were cold bore on different days. My son said he is sold on the BR4, and that the 10 power is a huge advantage.

Not here to bash anyone, just my experience.

My son missed a spike elk a few years ago that bothered him for a long time since he spent a lot of time working for just an opportunity like this. It was cold, with about 5 inches of snow and a fair amount of wind coming through the canyon. The elk was bedded so he was in no hurry and took his time getting into a prone position and take several readings with his Kestrel to get an idea of the wind. He used a Sig rangefinder to get the yardage which, if I remember correctly, was just a little over 500 yards. At the shot he hit very low and threw snow all over the spike. Windage was spot on. He said the shot felt good and he could see the hit in the snow and could not understand how he could have missed.

Some time later he was using the same rangefinder while golfing and noticed he seemed to be getting inaccurate readings. The battery was low but still working but the distances were off by 12 yards or so over the distance of less than 200 yards...always short compared to a companions rangefinder. He put a fresh battery in and it matched the other rangefinder. Since then he has wondered if the cold weather could have caused an inaccurate reading on the elk.

I have been wanting to purchase a rangefinder that would give me a shooting solution for a long time so I did all the reading I could find on the subject but could never find one that worked quite like I wanted. Doing all this research I came across numerous people having issues with Sig rangefinders in cold (single digit or less) weather and quite a few others who had other issues and had to send them back for replacements, some more than once. When Revic came out with the BR4 it seemed like what I was looking for and it's predecessor, the BR2, seemed to have good reviews other than it's bulky size so I bought the BR4. My son and I just returned from a 5 day camping trip to do some shooting and try out the BR4. We had two 8" plates and two 1 gallon milk jugs full of water set up across one canyon at distances from around 715 yards to 730 yards and a couple more milk jugs set in another location with a rather steep downhill angle one at 495 yards and the other at around 515. My son fired one shot at each of the targets using the BR4 and hit all 6. Two of the shots were cold bore on different days. My son said he is sold on the BR4, and that the 10 power is a huge advantage.

Not here to bash anyone, just my experience.

Sounds like he may have had it set to Meters. Been there and done that.
I've had 2 Sigs now and they have served me well. I had a Zeiss that I had horrible experiences with. Anyways, there can always be a bad one here and there.

Sounds like he may have had it set to Meters. Been there and done that.
I've had 2 Sigs now and they have served me well. I had a Zeiss that I had horrible experiences with. Anyways, there can always be a bad one here and there.
He checked all his equipment after missing the shot and found no issues. He now uses the rangefinder weekly for golf but not for hunting. I have read several instances of people having issues in the cold with Sig rangefinders but they all have said they just could not get a reading. We were at 7000 ft. and it was very cold. If you hunt in similar conditions I would check it out first. Agree that there can be bad one with any company.

Agree. A spotting scope and rangefinder probably makes more sense than a RF binoculars and a rangefinder. After first hunting with a Leica rangefinder and then getting a pair of 10x42 Geovids, I now use the rangefinder for golf and for measuring how tall trees are for my tree service business 😃

The Sig Kilo5K only calculates out to 800 yards, BUT, you can use the Kilo5K's atmospheric info (density altitude) that is displayed on the app, and manually input that into the ballistic calculator of your choice. Still no need for a Kestrel even past 800 yards.