Besides the 6.5 prc

I've got a factory tikka 270 WSM, with 130 solids (cutting edge mth) I can shoot it all day but it will only stay supersonic out to 1450 yd at 3000 ft.

You might want to consider a 300 PRC if you reload, especially if you have a suppressor. Not much factory ammo yet but this round would be fun to build a rifle for.

Im wanting a rifle for target, but something I can shoot all day. Something capable of 1 mile @ 1000 above sea level... What are some other options... What about a 270 with these new long bullets? Just looking for other ideas to research...
Here are some thoughts.
Any of the 6.5's would be a good choice. the 6.5 cm is popular due to it's resistance to side wind drift. As for the 270, absolutley! mor recoil but if your used to it that's great. I would highly reccomend a muzzle break on any caliber as they can reduce recoil by as much as 50%. 6.5x284, 6.5x55 swiss, 6.5 prc, the old 308, still great. I have shot all of these to over a mile with great results. I shoot mostly 1 000 yds as the club I shoot at has a very nice range. In Tennesse, where I shoog the altitude T the rande is 984 ft. Close to yours.

You might want to consider a 300 PRC if you reload, especially if you have a suppressor. Not much factory ammo yet but this round would be fun to build a rifle for.
Definitely agree the more I read on them the more interested I become. Currently I am without reloading equipment so rounds such as the creedmoor and prc cartidges that have accurate ammo are enticing for long range shooting with out the need to reload. Check out the 250 ATIP with a BC of .878... pretty impressive. Obviously if you reload you can push the same 6.5 and 30cal bullets in many different cartridges.

I was going to build a rifle, well I won't I'll have area 419 build it... Just curious if a 270 with these new longer bullets could do it... My buddy has made 1 st round hits with a 6.5 x47 out to 1500 yards and hit at 1600... It's just for fun, not that I wouldn't mind trying a competition...

I have a .270 AI with 30" Lilja barrel 3G 1:8" propelling the 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS. The farthest I've shot it is 966 yards at ~20 MOA adjustment; have a total of 55 MOA available elevation adjustment from zero.

The "NUT" behind the trigger remains the biggest factor.

Im wanting a rifle for target, but something I can shoot all day. Something capable of 1 mile @ 1000 above sea level... What are some other options... What about a 270 with these new long bullets? Just looking for other ideas to research...
There are lots of ideas, but very few good ones for shooting out to a mile. Especially if you enjoy hitting what your shooting at with any kind of consistency.
To put things in a somewhat perspective frame, my old 30x378 with a 36" barrel sent 200 gr SMKs from the muzzle @3500 FPS. Again for perspective, it required 150 1/4 min clicks on the dial to reach 1500 yds. And for 1700 which isn't a mile, it required 50 more 1/4 min clicks or 200 for the total.
And unless it was a pretty decent day, accuracy at either distance was marginal at best shooting from a good bench.
My advise would be to go watch them being shot at those distances before deciding which one is suitable for the distances you have in mind.
After doing so you will either be lowering your distance expectations or choosing a larger cartridge.

There are lots of ideas, but very few good ones for shooting out to a mile. Especially if you enjoy hitting what your shooting at with any kind of consistency.
To put things in a somewhat perspective frame, my old 30x378 with a 36" barrel sent 200 gr SMKs from the muzzle @3500 FPS. Again for perspective, it required 150 1/4 min clicks on the dial to reach 1500 yds. And for 1700 which isn't a mile, it required 50 more 1/4 min clicks or 200 for the total.
And unless it was a pretty decent day, accuracy at either distance was marginal at best shooting from a good bench.
My advise would be to go watch them being shot at those distances before deciding which one is suitable for the distances you have in mind.
After doing so you will either be lowering your distance expectations or choosing a larger cartridge.
My prc using a 135 is only 48.9 moa to 1760. 54 using a 156. This is a short barrel rifle so FPS is not great. Your data must be sea level.

My prc using a 135 is only 48.9 moa to 1760. 54 using a 156. This is a short barrel rifle so FPS is not great. Your data must be sea level.
Actually about 1500', but also realize it's actual data compiled by shooting, which is why i suggested the OP take his time and go watch as they are shot. Of coarse some variation is always possible, even between guns using the same cartridge.
Fact is that though 1500 yds is a lot further than it sounds when the words roll off somebody's lips.
Do the taste test for best results.

Actually about 1500', but also realize it's actual data compiled by shooting, which is why i suggested the OP take his time and go watch as they are shot. Of coarse some variation is always possible, even between guns using the same cartridge.
Fact is that though 1500 yds is a lot further than it sounds when the words roll off somebody's lips.
Do the taste test for best results.

yeah I think most people on here do actually know what their rifles do at range. Most of our comps go to 1200 but several have mile steel. A mile is not that magical for elevation, wind on the other hand is different deal.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts