Bertram Brass 28 Nosler Review

Prwillard2

**Disclaimer** I am not an expert reloader by any means. Take this data for what it's worth. Just trying to give an objective review on this product. I bought this brass with my own money. **Disclaimer**

So, got 200 cases of 28 Nosler by Bertram Brass delivered today. I ordered when their website went live on Friday 1 June, and the package was delivered to my address in SoCal today, Monday 4 June. So kudos to them for fast shipping. Package shipped from Cours de Alene, Idaho. Received a notice in my email saying my package had shipped, however was not given a tracking number, despite it being sent USPS priority, which comes with free tracking.

Brass came in bags of 100 rounds, similar in size to bulk packaged brass from winchester, etc. See attached picture. The brass however, did not come with any sort of lot number. This would probably help in the future. I also would much rather have had the brass come in pre-packaged boxes like Alpha Munitions for a nominal fee. Pricing on 100 cases was $235 plus shipping.

First thing I did was inspect the brass. Because it was bulk packaged, multiple cases had dented mouths, etc. I always full length size new brass, so it shouldn't cause any issues. I did notice however, that it doesn't appear the brass has been annealed. I'll probably anneal the brass before I begin to FL size. Primer pockets and flash holes look good, no major issues. I did not spend the time to measure the depth of the primer pockets.

I sort my brass primarily by weight, so that will be the biggest portion of my review. I initially was going to break the groupings down by 0.2 increments, but ended up going increments of 0.3 to 0.4 to save some space on my bench. I weighed all of these cases on my RCBS chargemaster scale after zeroing, by placing them directly on the scale, without the powder cup.

Lightest casing: 259.7gr (only 1)
Heaviest casing: 265.9gr (only 1)

I'll give the weight range, and then the number of cases that fell into that range, all weights are in grains.

259.7-259.9: 3
260.1-260.2: 6
260.5-260.8: 12
260.9-261.0: 5
261.1-261.3: 19
261.4-261.6: 11
261.7-261.9: 9
262.0-262.2: 15
262.3-262.4: 12
262.5-262.8: 23
262.9-263.2: 23
263.3-263.5: 14
263.6-263.7: 6
263.8-263.9: 10
264.0-264.3: 10
264.4-264.8: 15
264.9-265.3: 5
265.4-265.9: 2

Overall, slightly disappointed with the variation and spread of the weight. For this price, I would have expected slightly more consistency. I did find a solid group of cases in the 262.0 - 263.5 range. Should be close enough for what is going to be a hunting gun.

Perhaps once I turn the necks, etc the weight will be more consistent. For reference, the 50 virgin Nosler brass I have ranged from 279.4 to 282.8 grains, with the vast majority (I didn't write all them down) weighing between 280.5 and 282.0 grains.

Because I was running short on time, I didn't length check every piece of brass. I did however, make sure to check each of the "outliers" (259.7-259.9 & 265.4-265.9) and the length was relatively consistent between them, ranging from 2.579 to 2.584. The majority of the ~20 so pieces i checked fell in the 2.579 to 2.584 range. Shortest case I checked was 2.577. Longest case at 2.887. Overall, pretty consistent, but Nosler lists standard brass length as 2.590 FWIW.

I haven't loaded any of these cases yet, and have not done any testing with how long the primer pockets will last running hot 28 Nosler loads. Given the reputation Bertram has, I'd expect them to last 5+ firings.

Overall, I'd give them 3.5 out of 5 stars. To me, there was too much weight dispersion (more than 6 grains) between cases, along with the brass not being annealed from the factory. Add in case mouth dings, etc from the packaging, and this brass will require quite a bit of prep, probably more than factory Nosler brass itself, despite it running $2.35 a case.

Please let me know what else you'd like me to do regarding more testing on these cases, as this is my first major review, and I'm just hoping to help out some fellow reloaders. With the scarcity of 28 Nosler brass right now, I think brass is a good buy, but I'll probably end up sticking with Nosler brass in the long run, given that my 28 is a hunting gun.

Happy shooting,

Paul

Attachments

• 20180604_210206.jpg
    20180604_210206.jpg
    946.6 KB · Views: 449
  • 20180604_200915.jpg
    20180604_200915.jpg
    723.3 KB · Views: 514
  • 20180604_210206.jpg
    20180604_210206.jpg
    946.6 KB · Views: 366
I just received (200) pieces of brass as well. I noticed the same thing with weight. I also measured runout on the necks and this was higher than Nosler by about .005 more. The necks are thinner and I have to buy another bushing. I have about 20 rounds loaded up to try tomorrow.

I just received (200) pieces of brass as well. I noticed the same thing with weight. I also measured runout on the necks and this was higher than Nosler by about .005 more. The necks are thinner and I have to buy another bushing. I have about 20 rounds loaded up to try tomorrow.

What bushing are you getting?

that is the same type of weight variance I seen on the 338 rum brass. check the case capacity after firing it will be a lot closer. just received my 7 saum but 284 win will still be a couple days and then I will also give my findings.

I understand the tracking number issue. We have the same thing with our website. We use FedEx software that calculates the shipping charges based on the customer location but that is as far as it goes. Even though we are using an expensive system it is still labor intensive. You would think that these shipping programs would be able to offer tracking numbers and create shipping labels but they do not. The website will generate order notifications but there is no communication between the shipping company and the website. Kinda stinks.

Steve

The tracking number issue is like RockyMntMT said the systems don't do everything for you or make it real easy to send that stuff out when you process, not to mention learning a new process with computers could really slow a guy down.

In the other forum you commented on where the other guy with the same brass as you said he has his brass with in 1 10th of a grain after some small brass prep and that sounds pretty good, especially with more case capacity.
You don't go to try that you just sell it, which is fine it is yours to do with how you please, but you don't even attempt to prep the brass to see what you get and then fire it.

Most every brass case made is annealed from the factory after being formed and shaped at least from bertram so saying that it is not would be wrong and if it is cause you can not see a pretty blue shine to it that will go away after tumbling and cleaning.

Yeah plastic boxes or small boxes would be nice, but that is more time, handling, bulkier and you are still getting the same brass, just in a more convienient package to sit on a shelf.

We have had many reports already of guys prepping loading and firing great single digit es and tight groups. So you may try to prep and fire a few before selling it all.

Most every brass case made is annealed from the factory after being formed and shaped at least from bertram so saying that it is not would be wrong and if it is cause you can not see a pretty blue shine to it that will go away after tumbling and cleaning.

I cannot see annealing marks and I haven't tumbled or done any cleaning. See picture. On the left is virgin Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor brass, on the right is the Bertram 28 Nosler.

Not saying the brass from Bertram wasn't annealed at the factory. I however, cannot see annealing marks on mine.

Attachments

• 20180605_194641.jpg
    20180605_194641.jpg
    688.2 KB · Views: 640
I varified with Bruce today and it was most deffinetly annealed. Most brass is cleaned and tumbled and the stain from the annealing disappears.

Did you decide to hold on to some of that and try shooting it before you get rid of it?

Last edited:
I varifies with Bruce today and it was most deffinetly annealed. Most brass is cleaned and tumbled and the stain from the annealing disappears.

Did you decide to hold on to some of that and try shooting it before you get rid of it?

I more than likely will, may try and turn the necks on some of them to see if that helps with the weight dispersion.

I cannot see annealing marks and I haven't tumbled or done any cleaning. See picture. On the left is virgin Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor brass, on the right is the Bertram 28 Nosler.

Not saying the brass from Bertram wasn't annealed at the factory. I however, cannot see annealing marks on mine.

If you will look at ADG's website they offer brass in 2 options. You can buy it as bright or standard. The standard option is slightly cheaper and shows the annealing mark, the bright option is slightly more expensive, bright, shiny, and shows no annealing mark because it was cleaned and that is why it cost a little more. The reason there is no annealing mark obvious on your cases is because it was probably cleaned by Bertram before it left the factory. Adg offers these options because if all the brass they sold had an annealing mark half of their customers would complain that they would like their new brass to be bright and shiny and if it were vice versa the other half would complain that they want to see an annealing mark. So they offer these 2 options to try and please all thier customers when in realality it's all the same but just looks different.

last night I was able to prep and fireform 40 pieces of the 7 SAUM brass. I do load work up on once fired brass. prep includes trim to 2.020 oal, turn necks to .014 and nothing else straight from bag.
case weight after firing
HI 211.3
LO 206.9
AVG 209.9
THE 206.9 was the only oddball and only 4 were 211.0 or above
case capacity after firing and H2Oto top of neck
HI 76.2
LO 75.5
AVG 75.8
didn't weigh or check capacity before firing but this seems about normal for the other Bertram Brass that I have used in other calibers.
load workup to follow

I more than likely will, may try and turn the necks on some of them to see if that helps with the weight dispersion.
If you take the extreme spread and divide by the median case weight your extreme spread as a % of weight is about 2.3% not bench rest but probably not anything a hunting rifle would be able to tell the difference. I dont think im going to start sorting brass for hunting especially when they are shooting tight at the ranges I test and hunt at.
Also when I was prepping my Bertram I had some laying on my bench and in the bright sunlight i could see the top half were definatly a darker color showing an anneal line.
I have fired about 50 rounds of the Bertram 28 Nos. and so far it is working just fine. One nice thing is one of my 28's I have been shooting 162 gr because I couldnt get over 2950 fps with 180 gr bullets without heavy bolt lift and ejector marks using Nosler brass. today with the Bertram I worked up to 3082 fps with Berger 180's no sign of pressure and right at 1 moa and ES of 13
On exact same loads with both brands of brass 162's accuracy was very close- both sub .5 moa.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.