Bergers on steel plate target

bgilli2

I just tried some Berger vld 168 in my 7mm mag. Shooting iron plate that is 1/2 inch thick and two feet wide and weighs 75 lbs or better. Shooting muzzle 2940 fps. The bergers are almost shooting through the plate at 400 yards and 600 isn't pretty either. My 160 accubonds don't do half the damage nor has any other bullet. I am impressed but what makes the Berger so different?

Thanks

Use AR500 plate and that will solve your problems.

Agreed, I've shot a 300 ultra mag with 210 smks going 3180 fps at a AR500 12"x12" plate set at 250yds and all it did was knock the paint off.

As for your question on why the bergers are doing more damage, I guess it would be becouse of the b.c. of the bullet it retains more velocity down range so it's hitting harder.

Nathan

I just tried some Berger vld 168 in my 7mm mag. Shooting iron plate that is 1/2 inch thick and two feet wide and weighs 75 lbs or better. Shooting muzzle 2940 fps. The bergers are almost shooting through the plate at 400 yards and 600 isn't pretty either. My 160 accubonds don't do half the damage nor has any other bullet. I am impressed but what makes the Berger so different?

Thanks

Iron is not a good metal to shoot !!!!!!!

It's used a lot in Ag and construction equipment repair. I used to made a lot of structural stuff for mines there where a few things I made that the weld had to be harfaced, Hoppers and the like. Rod and flux core wire can be had as many different flavors as you can think of.

Thanks for the feedback. My question was more about why the bergers made a much bigger divot out of the iron than accubondsm Amax, etc. not so much about the right kind of steel.

All the others were the same but the bergers just hammered it twice as much as anything else. The iron was free from a friend so I will keep using it. Lasted a year easy until I used bergers and not sure I can shoot it anymore with them.

You may want to reread OP. Bergers shot through plate where as the AB's and Amax didn't.

I read pretty well.

Here's his info:

" The bergers are almost shooting through the plate"

ALMOST! He says the other bullets do 1/2 the damage. Damage is somewhat nebulous! Does he mean the hole or 'divot' (a cavity) is much wider with the Bergers as I would suspect? The Bergers use J-4 Jackets and they're not noted for being overly thick on wall thickness compared to the other projectiles fired.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts