Berger vs Nosler

WesB

Howdy guys
First I'd like to say thanks for the all of the great info that's available on this site.
At the present time I'm having my first custom rifle built. All of the components are in Kirby's shop waiting their turn to be assembled. This rifle will be built on a Borden Timberline action with a Jewel trigger and a Wyats 3.820 box, Rock 11.25 twist barrel finished at 26" and a McMillan hunter stock. It will be chambered in 300 RUM. I plan on shooting 180gr to 200gr bullets, not sure of a load yet. My question is, is there a substantial difference in accuracy between the Berger VLD and the Nosler Accubond bullets? Cabela's has both of these available, and with the scarcity of bullet components I'm trying to stock up on everything that I can get my hands on.
Thanks
Wes

In my circle of longrange shooters (4 of us) the accubonds are consistantly accurate and the bergers are very frustrating. We all got flyers with the bergers and between us shot over 1000 bergers at different seating depths and powders. The BC's are high enough to make you want to try them - but they sure have not worked for us.

I too enjoy this site. Lots of great stuff here.

I also have a 300 RUM. It is a model 70 and even after a wyatts box I was unable to seat a 168 Berger VLD near the rifling. Within those limits seating depth changes as well as various charge weights failed to make it shoot. (I happened to have those 168s arond from another project and gave them a try) Based on thrs experience I decided not to try any heavier VLDs and tried the Nosler 200 Accubond instead. The load development was too easy. Max charge listed for RL-25 in the Nosler manual, 3200 from a 27" #5 Lilja.

I have read of many hunters using the 200 Accubond. Its suggested BC is .588. Can anyone verify that this number is correct?

I've had just the opposite experience. I can get VLD 168gr from 7mm to routinely group .75 to .5 and occasionally .4. Accubonds are .8 to greater than 1". When i measured the weight and length of the AB they had more of a descrepency than the VLD.

You're certainly right that the Bergers like to be close to the lands, it just isn't always possible (depending on the throat of the particular rifle) to get them that close when dealing with the magazine restrictions of a .300 RUM.

I shoot them in my .30-06 AI and they (168g VLDs) are the most accurate bullets I've ever shot in that rifle. Of coure there is all kinds of room to seat them out to the lands.

There is certainly nothing wrong with Accubonds either. I would seriously stay away from standard Ballistic tips in a .300 RUM, I've seen them explode.

Dan

200 AB over about 90 gr of Re25 in my 300 RUM works great. I have yet to try the 210 VLD but it's on my to do list.

The AB works great though.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.