Berger vs hornady eld-x

Techy

And go...

Lets throw out all we know, like, dislike, why, and how.

Info and experience on any caliber would be great and please share, but specifically I am interested in 180gr berger hybrid vs the 175 eld-x. I am a hunter and target shooter. I am curious about experiences with both these bullets. Currently I am shooting the berger and am getting close to developing a load, but I can't say I am not curious about the eld-x. My end goal is to shoot to 2000 though depending on elevation and temperature I will probably hit trans sonic around 1800. We'll have to see. But first and foremost I want to have killing power as far out as I can with the 7mm. Yes I know the limitations on distant game and no it isn't my goal to shoot at game as far as I can.

But I'd be lying if I said I saw a coyote at 1600 I won't shoot, lol

Just share any and all you can on these bullets

Thanks.

P.S.
Just saw on long range pursuit a guy shoot a bull at 1500 yards with a 300 RUM with 212gr eld-x I believe

Hey there,
Shooting the 143eldx(when I can find them) and 140hybrid in my 6.5 rsaum and to be honest I can't say one is better than the other as far as accuracy is concerned, they both shoot excellent. I have them going same speed, same POI out to 1000 yards. Haven't taken any game with them yet so no input on terminal performance...

Shooting the 180 hybrid in my 280ai and results have also been stellar as far as accuracy goes, staying submoa out to 1400yards..
Haven't tried the 175eldx in it yet.

pretty sure you will be happy with either... I'm probably gonna stick with the bergers because they seem to always be in stock locally and I can get them in 500 packs. Haven't been finding the ELD-x's in stock here lately....

Orch

I'm shooting 30-06, and wanted to give the 175 eldx a try. Looked everywhere, and couldn't find them. I'll wait until they are readily avaliable. Until then I'll keep fiddling with the 185berger CH

Have you noticed if the eld-x likes it close to the lands or jumped?

Did you have to add more of a charge to go the same speed or were they same speed with the same charge. Curious how much the bearing surface and weight effect the speed.

I have only shot the berger and like them, but it is fun to try new things.

Have you noticed if the eld-x likes it close to the lands or jumped?

Did you have to add more of a charge to go the same speed or were they same speed with the same charge. Curious how much the bearing surface and weight effect the speed.

I have only shot the berger and like them, but it is fun to try new things.

Actually had to decrease the powder charge a couple tenths of a grain for the 143eld-x
To get it going the same speed as the 140hybrid

Orch

I have not shot any game yet with the eldx but my testing for accuracy and expansion in media leave me very impressed so far with 143's in my 6.5 SS. I do have a pic of what a 180 vld did on a small deer last year at 854 yards with my 7 SS and I can not complain about terminal performance or accuracy......Rich
7ss 854 yds. 180vld.jpg

I have shot them both out of my 7mm if you pm me a number i can send you some pictures I'm staying with berger I also love the 195 . I have some eld-x if you need some as I won't be shooting them. I also believe the berger bullets or easier to get some that helps that is my thought. We shot eld-x threw 2 1/2 gallon water jugs at several different rangestyles catching one in the third jug at 600 yards very little expansion at 800 yards there was no expansion

I have shot them both out of my 7mm if you pm and number is can send you some pictures I'm staying with berger I also love the 195 . I have some eld-x if you need some as I won't be shooting them. I also believe the berger bullets or easier to get some that helps that is my thought. We shot eld-x threw 2 1/2 gallon water jugs at several different rangestyles catching one in the third jug at 600 yards very little expansion at 800 yards there was no expansion i shoot a custom rifle built by southern indiana precision rifle using hawk Hill barrel

I had great expansion in water jugs and also moist clay with the ELDX at 1100 yards and also ran tests with reduced loads in moist clay at lower velocities simulating long ranges. I was using the 143's in my 6.5 SS.
6.5ss 143eldx xtest clay vs h20.jpg

Elkaholic. You have any news to share our pics from the reduced velocity loads?

Curious what velocity you got as an expansion threshold

These bullets were expanded in moist clay with reduced loads. I have found that bullets expand at a greater rate when rotational velocity is increased, as would be the case if fired with a full load and impacted at long range at this velocity. I am confident the the 143's would expand to some degree down to 1300'.
143 eldx expansion test.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.