Berger VLD vs Hornady A-Max

SilverWSM

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and to long range hunting. I have a 300wsm I'll be using to start with and hunting sambar, which are a deer species in Australia similar in size to an elk.

Just wondering of the hornady 208
A-max and the Berger 210 vld which would be the better choice or if there are any other bullets that you think would be suitable.

Previously I've used the Barnes ttsx 165gr but I'm after something with a better b.c. more suited to long range.

Any advice/experience appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and to long range hunting. I have a 300wsm I'll be using to start with and hunting sambar, which are a deer species in Australia similar in size to an elk.

Just wondering of the hornady 208
A-max and the Berger 210 vld which would be the better choice or if there are any other bullets that you think would be suitable.

Previously I've used the Barnes ttsx 165gr but I'm after something with a better b.c. more suited to long range.

Any advice/experience appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan

Dan,

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

I've taken a couple of pronghorn antelope and mule deer with the A-Max but no elk. My last elk harvest was in 2013 with 190 Berger VLD at 931 yards. Having said that, the Berger VLD would be my personal choice.

I'm currently developing loads for my .300 WSM too; I'm playing with the Berger 215 on various powders but have not settled on any yet.

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Cheers!

Ed

Hornady makes good bullets, but the A-Max is a target bullet, so I don't advise shooting them at game. I'm sure others will have a differing opinion, but I am just stating mine.

I have taken several whitetail deer with Berger VLD's and was extremely impressed with the results. I have also been exclusively shooting Bergers for target practice for several years. While nobody can guarantee your results with any bullet because of too many external factors, I highly recommend giving the Bergers a try.

I have shot both and they act very similarly. The lighter 30 cal amaxes are a bit more explosive. I wouldn't hesitate to use either in those weights. Pick whichever your rifle likes best.

The Berger 215s and 230s are target bullets like the Hornady A-Max, yet end users have very good real world hands on experiences on big games like elk at LRs.

I'll take the real world result anytime over bullet labeling or designation.

A max works great on coyotes, but I can't speak to deer. Maybe OK on the smaller southern whitetails. I have had good success with Berger hunting and hybrids on deer, elk, and bear.

The 210 and the 300wsm have long been favored by benchrest shooters for its amazing accuracy. However since the 215, and 230 have been available there is hardly a 30 cal bullet offered that has a lower form factor ( 215 & 230 being the same ) and performing so well on game. Even though berger only recomends them for hunting.

Bergers quality control and high bc will certainly yeild an advantage as far as accuracy is concerned, however the amax's are cheaper, typically more available, and plastic tip with a thin jacket should aid in expansion if youre really reaching out there.

Either one will be a huge leap from the 165ttsx you are using now.

I agree either bullet would work just fine. I shoot the 208 Amax in a 300 wm and .308 win and have killed elk with both rifles. The Amax seems to be easier to work up a load for as the Berger can be finicky but either bullet will do very well on large game at any range.

Thanks for the replys guys, I was leaning towards the Bergers but as you say they are hard to come by and I can get my hands on the a-max a lot easier. Just wanted to make sure they would do the job as I have no experience with either.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Dan

It would depend in the game being hunted in my opinion. Elk and moose, go with a Berger. Deer and antelope, either one.

6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another.

Both shoot equally well in my rifles and I wouldn't be scared to use either. I have used the A-Max's more, obviously, they are cheaper. I know for fact, with proper bullet placement, both will keeel the crap out of whitetails! :) JohnnyK

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.