Berger vld seating method

I've used it quite a bit and have had good results. I've noticed the VLDs seem to like being within .035" of touch, but hybrids often have wider nodes at longer jump distances. Just my experience.

This seating depth test is done first in the development process correct? And if so ,do you use the minimum powder charge to perform the seating test?

That would be safe. But if experience is on your side, you may go to a middle of the road charge so long as your not too close to the lands or jammed. Generally speaking, whatever charge you choose, the seating should show an obvious preference.

I did it with the 115 dtac and had best results at .020 and .090 off the lands. .090 puts the base below the donut, if one were to form. I'll live with .020 and chasing the lands on this barrel and get the next one throated for .090 at near mag length.

This seating depth test is done first in the development process correct? And if so ,do you use the minimum powder charge to perform the seating test?

yes , correct . you want to use a minimum powder charge . this should keep you away from a good powder node . you do not want any influence from the powder charge when testing for seating . after you find best seating you then find best powder . then you can go back to seating if you feel you need to .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.