Berger VLD performance on bone question...

Hybrids work GREAT on game. From 6.5 130 to .308 230.
I shoot the 6.5 140 Hybrid in my 6.5 SLR, 7mm 180 Hybrid in my 7RM, and .308 215 & 230 Hybrids in my .300RUM on game with fantastic results. I plan on using the 6.5 140 Hybrid (until the 155 Elite Hunter comes out to try) in my new 6.5 SS. If Berger made a 168 Hybrid, I would shoot those in my .280AI. I will be trying the 160 TMK in my .280AI as well. I have had great results with SMKs on game also.

What have you seen as the difference between the hunting VLD and the Hybrid??

Hybrids work GREAT on game. From 6.5 130 to .308 230.
I shoot the 6.5 140 Hybrid in my 6.5 SLR, 7mm 180 Hybrid in my 7RM, and .308 215 & 230 Hybrids in my .300RUM on game with fantastic results. I plan on using the 6.5 140 Hybrid (until the 155 Elite Hunter comes out to try) in my new 6.5 SS. If Berger made a 168 Hybrid, I would shoot those in my .280AI. I will be trying the 160 TMK in my .280AI as well. I have had great results with SMKs on game also.

IMO one has to be careful with any target bullet because the jacket is thicker you can see a change. I have done ok with the hybrid on heavier game like elk and moose but deer and smaller I was not impressed by the wound channels so I annealed the tips. I use the hybrid targets in the 6.5 if a gun is stressing the hunting jacket and you see a shallow wound channels.

Have not shot an elk with my 6.5 140s but have a number of heavy animals. Nilgai, mule deer, whitetail, red deer hind, desert bighorn. I'm not super keen on the way the bullet fractures, but cannot complain about the results. I have recovered all animals shot.

Awesome! Congrats on a desert bighorn! What state did you get him in?

Have not shot an elk with my 6.5 140s but have a number of heavy animals. Nilgai, mule deer, whitetail, red deer hind, desert bighorn. I'm not super keen on the way the bullet fractures, but cannot complain about the results. I have recovered all animals shot.

Wow that's awesome. Aren't there only like 1-2 tags per year for TX? I heard they aren't even doing a draw for them this year.

Mine was one of 2 for 2017 draw odds 1/10k...I was pretty lucky...no draw this year--unless you put in for the slam...I do know a place that might have a landowner tag--it will be 60-70k...out of my budget--now just need a stone and a bighorn...

That's amazing. Better get your stone sooner rather than later or it's gonna be even more expensive. The prices are going up fast.

Yep I know--it's out paced my saving. I have a "Slam" fund and I have a little over 18K saved...thought at one time it could be done for that...now in some places nearing 40K....it's killing me. I have no way of doing a bighorn unless I draw--just will not spend that kind of bread on a sheep hunt. I thought 14K was crazy for a dall at the time...now that would be a hell of a deal.

You will enjoy the Dall hunt! Good luck...looking at a Fannin, but they aren't that much cheaper anymore...if you need some good spots for Dall let me know.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts