Berger VLD pencil through Elk in Cold?

I used Bergers on all of my game this year using my buddy's 7mag with relatively good results. Everything used he (WYO300RUM) had loaded himself. Two doe loppers, a muley buck, a large cow elk, a whitetail buck and two whitetail does. All one shot kills.

-First doe lope was hit quartering towards me at about 100yds and bullet was recovered just on the other side of the diaphragm

-Second doe lope was hit facing towards me (also about 100yds) and bullet went in the brisket and angled up through the spine where it exited leaving a large exit hole

-Muley was hit broadside at 423yds, aimed high, hit high. Spine shot just behind front quarter, bullet not recovered as it exited

-Cow elk was hit between 80-100yds, broadside, high lung, with about a 50cent piece exit wound. Dropped immediately

-Whitetail buck was hit about 30-50yds away, dropped instantly. Temp was about 8degrees

-Both whitetail does (one was an older fawn) were hit broadside leaving a large exit in the fawn. The doe made it about 15yrs where it ran into a bush and expired. Temp was the coldest of my season, about 0-5degrees with wind chill

This season I will be using my new Vanguard 300WM and trying several different bullets, but I personally wouldn't hesitate using Bergers again if everything else fails. Everyone's experience with certain projectiles is different but I had a successful season using Bergers

Only as a "last resort"! You may try cast bullets before you get "that desperate"! 😂 memtb
I suppose it could be taken as a "last resort" comment haha. I didn't think about that. In my case, last year was the first year having major success hunting and I am wanting to try different bullets, cases and powders so that I have a better idea of what works and what doesn't. A little "trial and error" for the "green horn". So for my first year, I note that Bergers worked for me 😉

Excellent! More for us.

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

Last edited:
In WYO300WM's grandpa's 7 Rem mag we tried Barnes, Bergers, Hornady ELDX and a few others I can't remember. We had some 143 Hammer Hunters ready to try but we have up on the old rifle. Problems with it. The load I had with 168 Berger and 72.0 grs. of Retumbo, Fed 215M primer shot best in grandpa's rifle. It was my go to load in my Ruger Mk. II 7 mag he used. I have some 143 Hammers loaded with 3 different powders to try but haven't yet..I don't hunt with that rifle any more. The last time it got shot before WYO300WM used it this year was 2012 and 2010 here by my son on Muley bucks and lope buck.

In response too the entire thread , my question would be ,without cleaning the tips , would you shoot a BULL ELK at 50 yds broadside , directly through the shoulders, only shot presented ,small window of opportunity with a BERGER 140 class bullet, at 3500 fps.BULLETS right out of the box. Cold temps. Or not, Now at the moment of truth you suddenly had a option, you had a mono as a second round in the mag , which would you use.
I would cycle the mono in if it was super cold.

In response too the entire thread , my question would be ,without cleaning the tips , would you shoot a BULL ELK at 50 yds broadside , directly through the shoulders, only shot presented ,small window of opportunity with a BERGER 140 class bullet, at 3500 fps.BULLETS right out of the box. Cold temps. Or not, Now at the moment of truth you suddenly had a option, you had a mono as a second round in the mag , which would you use.
Not with a 140gr.
I would use the mono.
I have had a bad experience just about like that and now shoot mono out of my 6.5.
But I do not want to highjack the OP's post.

Only awesome performance out of Berger I've ever seen was a 168 vld out of a 300 wby into a does brisket at 80 yards. Split her like Thor's hammer would have. I still use bergers but try to hit shoulder muscle mass or bone depending on angle. I'll never say that bergers are fabulous not any better than anyone else imo.
Stopped hunting with Bergers several years ago. Not because of poor performance on game but pain to get to shoot and still fit in magazine plus availability at the time. I can get hammers here in three days. And they open up.

Not with a 140gr.
I would use the mono.
I have had a bad experience just about like that and now shoot mono out of my 6.5.
But I do not want to highjack the OP's post.
Like wise my intentions where not too hijack a post , but there seems too be different experiences with the mentioned bullets ,some good and some not so good .I have never shot BERGER BULLETS , so only have questions.

I wouldn't, but only because I don't timber hunt elk with a 6.5x300 rum, and if I did have a 6.5x300rum and was using Bergers I wouldn't shoot 140's out of it, but 156's. I consider 7mm minimum for the way I hunt elk personally, even after successfully killing quite a few of them with 6.5's out to over 900.

Now my 20" 30 nosler sending 208 LRHT's (tipped bullet) at 2935? Every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I however also have no problems using monos, and use them in several different rifles.

I realize this is a Berger Bullet thread however, I wanted to share an odd and unpredictable story along the ideas of retained weight.

Round about 1992, I was sitting in a cold November blind with my Cousin. My tags were filled so I was along the ride in a support role. His rifle was a 700 BDL, 300 Winchester Magnum shooting Remington 150gr PSP Core Lokt. An eight point Buck slipped in behind us and we waited what seemed to be an eternity for it to make its way down to where he could raise the rifle and take the shot at 60 yards.
Bang, the Buck dropped and started flopping. I said shoot him again and he did.
Shot#1- Center chest behind front leg***NO EXIT WOUND
Shot#2- Back/Spine just below base of neck***NO EXIT WOUND

There was major fragmentation destruction inside the cavity. Who would have ever thought that this would be the performance of a specialty core bullet? I have no opinion or explanation as to why the bullet turned into a grenade, simply relating an actual experience where a deep penetration projectile didn't penetrate deep.

I realize this is a Berger Bullet thread however, I wanted to share an odd and unpredictable story along the ideas of retained weight.

Round about 1992, I was sitting in a cold November blind with my Cousin. My tags were filled so I was along the ride in a support role. His rifle was a 700 BDL, 300 Winchester Magnum shooting Remington 150gr PSP Core Lokt. An eight point Buck slipped in behind us and we waited what seemed to be an eternity for it to make its way down to where he could raise the rifle and take the shot at 60 yards.
Bang, the Buck dropped and started flopping. I said shoot him again and he did.
Shot#1- Center chest behind front leg***NO EXIT WOUND
Shot#2- Back/Spine just below base of neck***NO EXIT WOUND

There was major fragmentation destruction inside the cavity. Who would have ever thought that this would be the performance of a specialty core bullet? I have no opinion or explanation as to why the bullet turned into a grenade, simply relating an actual experience where a deep penetration projectile didn't penetrate deep.
That is what make cup and core bullets, questionable at high vel close range impacts too me .