Berger VLD pencil through Elk in Cold?

I've had Burgers 🍔 both shrapnel and fail to expand. So have many others. A number of whom have communicated with me via private messaging. Doesn't surprise me that anyone would move on to a superior bullet.

The only way to get consistent performance with a Burger 🍔 is to load them butt end forward.

Load them tip first and if the do expand, they leave you with nothing but 🍔.

One will never know with the "pencil through" if the animal is not recovered.

Many belief a small entrance and exit hole means it penciled without looking at what's inbetween. This phenomena is more common with monolithics.

The blow up's I'm referring to were eventually recovered. They are not a guess…e.g.17 shots (majority connecting) at a big free ranging Buffalo Bull at close range with a 300 RUM and Bergers.

I am one of the few that believe in the 2 bullet system: a AB or mono for 5-600 yards and something else past. But to each his own.

I've never seen one we thought penciled through.

Probably 20 + shots of blow ups at close range recovered after follow up and verified. Many more close shots that hit and a lost animal that one can only assume.

The blow up's I'm referring to were eventually recovered. They are not a guess…e.g.17 shots (majority connecting) at a big free ranging Buffalo Bull at close range with a 300 RUM and Bergers.
I'm one of the biggest Berger supporters that you're likely to find, but I certainly wouldn't use a Berger on a 2000 lb Buffalo and then blame it on the bullet. A Berger of any sort is the wrong choice for that animal.

I'm one of the biggest Berger supporters that you're likely to find, but I certainly wouldn't use a Berger on a 2000 lb Buffalo and then blame it on the bullet. A Berger of any sort is the wrong choice for that animal.
Is there any advertising or advise from the manufacture claiming this?

How about the multitude of blowups on Elk and Mule Deer. Do they count.

Or was it just poor shot placement?

My pencil thru Burger was recovered. After I shot the Dall ram again, with a different, decent, expanding bullet.

Others I've talked with recovered their game. Otherwise I wouldn't have wasted my time discussing the incidents as a Burger failure to expand. One guy shot an elk lengthwise. Eventually recovered it. With additional followup shots. Took pics of his recovered non-expanded Burger and shared them with me.

How about the multitude of blowups on Elk and Mule Deer. Do they count.

Or was it just poor shot placement?
Every shot counts, I was simply suggesting that the wrong bullet was chosen for the Buffalo in my opinion. They work great on deer and elk for me.

I am in agreement with you. I also choose a different bullet for in close elk where a big bone might get hit. Or, very heavy for caliber.