Berger VLD Hunting and Target Diff?

Autorotate19

I want to start figuring out a load with the berger vld's for my 7mm rem. I cant find any hunting vld's in 168 gr but I found some target 168's. Will they shoot the same? I wounldt try hunting with them just for load work for now.

i have shot the hunting and target VLD's interchangeably and have not noticed a difference.

i also, gulp, shot 2 deer with the target vld's this year because hunting vld's were sold out:)
one at 60yds, and one at 476yds, and the deer sure couldn't tell the bullet that hit them was for targets.

i've heard the only difference in the two is jacket thickness, but I'm sure there are others on this site that will have more informed info.

ovastafford dont be afraid to buy the target bullets and use them for hunting. The hunting bullets i belive is supposed to have a thicker jacket but who knows. I have shot deer out to 580 yards with the target bullets and a good friend of mine has shot them out to 960 with the target bullets and we have never lost a deer that has been hit with one. Most of them dont go 50 yards. In fact my friend says that he is not going to switch to the hunting bullets because he has had so much success with the target ones. I think the only reason berger come out with the "Hunting" bullet is to stop all the critics from saying its not ethical to use a target bullet for hunting.

The "Hunting" bullets are Berger's standard line of bullets that they have been making for years, the "Target" bullets are a more recent addition to their line and have THICKER jackets, these were built to answer the problem of their traditional bullets coming apart at high velocity when fired in large capacity "overbore" cartridges. Since these newer bullets have thicker jackets, Berger has not recommended them for hunting.
Dave

The "Hunting" bullets are Berger's standard line of bullets that they have been making for years, the "Target" bullets are a more recent addition to their line and have THICKER jackets, these were built to answer the problem of their traditional bullets coming apart at high velocity when fired in large capacity "overbore" cartridges. Since these newer bullets have thicker jackets, Berger has not recommended them for hunting.
Dave

i knew it was something like that. Just was not completly sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.