Berger VLD bullets on Moose - will it work??

I've heard of some folks saying that the Bergers almost explode in mid air if pushed faster than 3,200 fps.... I don't know how true that is, but my .257 Wby Mag is pushing the 115 VLD's at 3,300 and they're still hitting the target. So, I'm not sure about them "exploding" in mid air as soon as they leave the muzzle.

I've heard of some folks saying that the Bergers almost explode in mid air if pushed faster than 3,200 fps.... I don't know how true that is, but my .257 Wby Mag is pushing the 115 VLD's at 3,300 and they're still hitting the target. So, I'm not sure about them "exploding" in mid air as soon as they leave the muzzle.

I think that applied mainly to 3 groove barrels in up to 7mm calibers when pushed hard. I'm using a 6.5 3 groove barrel with no trouble but I'm only running <3000'sec.

I'm not a VLD expert but the only time I've ever heard if VLDs dusting was with =<7mm calibers pushed really fast from 3 grove barrels due to too much jacket displacement from the wider lands. They're twice as wide as the lands in 6 groove barrels. Some stated that it only started happening after the throat eroded a bit. Makes sense.

Other than running fast in a 3 groove, I've never once heard of any problems.

North Dakota bulls generally aren't as large as the Canadian counterparts. You probably will have a fairly close shot as well. Every moose I have seen in ND has just sat there and stared at me or even ignored me. The killing part should be the easy portion. It just comes down to finding one. What unit were you lucky enough to draw? Have a buddy that has one in the bottoms by Williston.

I've dusted that bullet in a 25 RUM at MVs over 3800 fps. Only shot about 15-20 bullets, and when several never reached the 100 yd and 300 yd target, I realized I needed a different bullet at those speeds. Barrel is a 29" stainless Hart, 6-groove.

FWIW I shot the 115 VLD's from my 25-300 WBY from a 28" Shillen 1 in 10 with a MV over 3650 and it shot .5 moa from a light contour tube. This rifle was and is still used for jumping white tails with a dead hold to close to 400 yards. But I will tell you this, keep it in the slats if you want meat..:D

Jeff

North Dakota bulls generally aren't as large as the Canadian counterparts. You probably will have a fairly close shot as well. Every moose I have seen in ND has just sat there and stared at me or even ignored me. The killing part should be the easy portion. It just comes down to finding one. What unit were you lucky enough to draw? Have a buddy that has one in the bottoms by Williston.

(Any Moose) M10 is the unit I'm hunting in. I know what you mean, ND moose hunting doesn't take much skill once you find one. In my pass experience helping others moose hunt, it's a zoo!!! Every person near or far will watch you harvest the moose lol... Once you find the moose you want they don't go far. You basically could crack a few beers and start the party before you pull the trigger!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.