Berger VLD 300 RUM Loads?

ovastafford

I was wondering what some of your guy's favorite loads are for the 300rum with the bergers. Group size, velocity etc...
Also any suggestions on what grain to use... I mainly hunt mule deer and elk.
Thanks

MontanaRifleman

If you are going to shoot a Berger out of a 300 RUM, I would suggest the 210. I am loading 95 gr of Retumbo behind the 210's and getting about 3200 fps. That is a "warm" load but not significantly stetching primer pockets. I would recommend starting at about 88 gr and working up. 93 gr is a typical max for the 300 RUM.

Good shooting,

Mark

Last edited:

KDB

I have been loading 98.5 of Retumbo behind 190vlds. Out of my 28 inch Krieger they chronograph around 3450. My best 3 shot group is just over 2 inches at 500 yards. I have noticed higher than desired SD's with retumbo though. I have been in load development with the 210's, but have not been able test yet, so no data to share.

Gooseblitz

I am about to start reloading some for the 300RUM.....I have 190 VLDs and RL25 I am starting with.
I will let you know how it works up.

406pat

My 30" Shilen barrel loves the 210 ahead of 89g of RE25. Not sure of velocity but I've put together a few clover leafs @ 300yds and 1.5" @ 300 is common if I do my part. I'll have to look at my book to be sure but I think I'm running them with .01 jump.

Varmint Hunter

I'm currently running 101.1gr of Hodgdon US869 under the 210 VLD and have groups running around 1.5" @ 300 yds. Velocity is right at 3,200 ft.sec from my 27" Broughton barrel. Pressure appears to be lower than any other powder I've tried.

ovastafford

Thanks for all the info! what other loads do your rifles like other than the bergers.....

dbrush

190 VLD over 87 grains RL-22 fed 215m very accurite load in many rifles

start low and work up

bebberson

My 28" Hart with a 1 in 10 twist shoots 210 VLD with 99.5 of H50BMG at 2950fps under 1/2 inch at 100 yards.

ovastafford

Have you killed anything with the E-tips... Aren't they the same as the tipped triple shock barnes?

MontanaRifleman

E-Tips are monometals like TSX's, but they are a guilde metal, not pure copper. That makes them a little tougher. They also seem to expand a little wider than TSX's and they have a lot better BC than TSX/TTSX's. Last, I've read quite a few reports in the last tyear of TSX/TTSX's failing to expand. I haven't read that about the E-Tips, but they haven't been out long.

I recovered one from target practice the other day after penetrating 3/4 plywood them slamming into the dirt. It looks very impressive. It opend up to .665 x .588 and has a very flat, blunt frontal area which would cause a lot of tissue damage.

Last edited:

Nitroused383

190 Berger VLD
Fed 215 m primer
.010" from rifling
95 grains of Retumbo
3220 fps

200 yard group

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce