Berger Target VLDs for Hunting Experiences?

Pdvdh

Anybody tried Berger's Target VLDs on pigs, deer, or other similar or larger sized animals? If so how did these bullets perform on the game?

I've read that Berger doesn't recommend their Target VLD for hunting because they have never field-tested these bullets on animals to confirm they're suitable for hunting, like they field-tested their Hunting VLDs prior to recommending them for hunting. I understand the Target VLDs have a thicker jacket along the bearing surface compared to the Hunting VLD bullets to survive higher launch velocities - thus the concern the Target VLDs may not expand reliably on game.

If anybody has tried them, I'm looking for some feedback on the experience - positive or negative. I've got a 25 RUM that's too hard on the 115 gr Hunting VLDs at 3800 fps. Most of them shoot pretty well, but I get a few fliers and about 1 in 10 fail to reach or hit my 300 yd target. So I'm purchasing some of the 115 gr Target VLDs to see if they'll survive these higher MVs. I'm interested in hunting with them provided they reach my targets intact and with acceptable accuracy for LRH.

I used Bergers for the first time this year on a cow elk hunt. I was concerned about the Hunting bullets blowing up at the higher velocities of close range shots so I loaded both the Target and Hunting 168 VLD's for my 7mm mag. I was hoping the Target bullets would have a more controlled expansion at higher velocities. I shot a cow at 560 yards with the Hunting bullet. The first shot was right behind the shoulder a little low in the chest. She didn't go down right away so I dropped in a round with the Target bullet and hit her about 4 inches above the first shot . That one dropped her. Both bullets exited. Both had pin hole entrance wounds and about 2 inch exit wounds. Internal damage looked about the same.
Wes

Last edited:
Thanks. That sounds encouraging at that fairly extended distance. And a great opportunity to compare performance with both bullets landing several inches apart on the same animal. Maybe a few more members will have some experiences to comment on.

Shot a few coyotes with the target VLD's and they went right through(.260 130 grain @ 2900fps mv). Same thing with deer. Now a hunting VLD won't come out of a coyote at 70 yards through 500 yards verified. I was concerned that the hunting VLD might not penetrate enough for a white tail but was reassured by [email protected]. Contact him with any questions. Got back to me right away and even talked to him on the phone.

A good friend of mine and I have shot deer with the 168 grain target bullets in our 7mm stw and had great results. I am shooting at 3330 fps and his is at 3380 fps. We have shot deer from 200 to 960 yards and get the same results every time (dead deer) pin size entrance hole 3 inch exit hole with the insides completly demolished. I asked him if he was going to switch to the hunting ones he just told me if it ain't broke don't fix it. I however have bought a box of the hunting to see for myself how they work. I emailed Walt Berger my results with the target bullets and he did not seem surprised by the results.

I witnessed a long time shooting buddy of mine hit a small blacktail buck in the shoulders with his 7-08 improved 168 gr. Berger target vld. @ 2,832 fps. Knocked him on his ***. Exit hole was 1.5". Whats amazing is the range was 1,050 yards! Dear was DRT. Never twitched. I was scepticle of the bullet for small game at long range so I was on "back up" with my 338 Edge. Not needed.gun)

So far sounds good - the target VLDs are expanding on deer-sized game. I've got three boxes coming in .257 and am now looking forward to the range testing. Then hunting. Thanks again.

I witnessed a long time shooting buddy of mine hit a small blacktail buck in the shoulders with his 7-08 improved 168 gr. Berger target vld. @ 2,832 fps. Knocked him on his ***. Exit hole was 1.5". Whats amazing is the range was 1,050 yards! Dear was DRT. Never twitched. I was scepticle of the bullet for small game at long range so I was on "back up" with my 338 Edge. Not needed.gun)

I suspect that the bullet expanded because it went through both shoulder blades! I'm not too sure that a shot through the ribs would produce the same results but nevertheless, still quite encouraging. Good post!.......Rich

Yes sir. Through both shoulders. I was in doubt also, hence the Edge. But this time it turned out just fine. I believe he is going to the hunting vld with the thinner jacket. Should be better at long range for low velocity impacts.gun)

A good friend of mine and I have shot deer with the 168 grain target bullets in our 7mm stw and had great results. I am shooting at 3330 fps and his is at 3380 fps. We have shot deer from 200 to 960 yards and get the same results every time (dead deer) pin size entrance hole 3 inch exit hole with the insides completly demolished. I asked him if he was going to switch to the hunting ones he just told me if it ain't broke don't fix it. I however have bought a box of the hunting to see for myself how they work. I emailed Walt Berger my results with the target bullets and he did not seem surprised by the results.

Just curious to what load you guys are using. i have a 26" shilen on a 700 action. I ran the 168's with 80 grs of h1000 and best i could get was 3150 fps but it was .5 groups. i would love to get closer to your fps i would be extactic with 3250..any help would be appreciated..,thnx

Yes sir. Through both shoulders. I was in doubt also, hence the Edge. But this time it turned out just fine. I believe he is going to the hunting vld with the thinner jacket. Should be better at long range for low velocity impacts.gun)

If you REALLY want to expand at low velocity, use the A-max. I wouldn't use it up too close though:D.....Rich

Just curious to what load you guys are using. i have a 26" shilen on a 700 action. I ran the 168's with 80 grs of h1000 and best i could get was 3150 fps but it was .5 groups. i would love to get closer to your fps i would be extactic with 3250..any help would be appreciated..,thnx

i am useing 77grains of RL22 and he is useing IMR 7828 but im not exactly sure how much. My barrel is whatever comes on a weatherby mk V 26" and his is a 30" but not sure of the maker.

I have used both the hunting vld and the target vld on Elk, Whitetails and Pigs ranging from 60 yds to 410 yds. I honestly cannot tell the difference between the 2. I believe it is more of a marketing gimmick having the designation of the "Hunting VLD" Just my 2 cents.

If my memory serves me well... which I think it does :).... the meplat of the target bullets is the same thickness as the hunting bullets, and gradually thickens as it gets to the bearing surface of the bullet.

The minimum advertised expanding velocity for the Berger hunting bullets is 1800 fps, which is the same for many other hunting bullets. Ballistic tips are 1600 fps, as well as most GS HV's.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts