Berger Prep for Terminal Performance

Tiny Tim

I want to preface this by stating that this is not a thread about whether you like Berger Bullets or not, if you should have to do anything to a purchased bullet to make it function acceptably, or even if you should use them. Its about how to obtain the most reliable terminal performance with Berger bullets.
I have read many things about this and there are some basics like ensuring bullet tips are open, possibly meplat trimming and weight sorting for consistency. Most have recommended a .040 drill bit for the tips on the 215 Hybrid and I have found this also works with the 6mm bullet class. But I seem to remember Elkaholic (?) using a .056 on the 215. I also think Bigngreen talked about a friend having issues with a hunting VLD and having him switch to a target style due to a rough throat.
How do you determine what type you use for hunting and what steps you take to ensure optimum performance? Or is it simply trial and error? Sorry for such a lengthy post, but hoping to get some good info out there for those on the fence about trying them or that don't have the opportunity to take several animals each year to collect empirical data on what may at best be called a hotly debated bullet. Thanks in advance.

I want to preface this by stating that this is not a thread about whether you like Berger Bullets or not, if you should have to do anything to a purchased bullet to make it function acceptably, or even if you should use them. Its about how to obtain the most reliable terminal performance with Berger bullets.
I have read many things about this and there are some basics like ensuring bullet tips are open, possibly meplat trimming and weight sorting for consistency. Most have recommended a .040 drill bit for the tips on the 215 Hybrid and I have found this also works with the 6mm bullet class. But I seem to remember Elkaholic (?) using a .056 on the 215. I also think Bigngreen talked about a friend having issues with a hunting VLD and having him switch to a target style due to a rough throat.
How do you determine what type you use for hunting and what steps you take to ensure optimum performance? Or is it simply trial and error? Sorry for such a lengthy post, but hoping to get some good info out there for those on the fence about trying them or that don't have the opportunity to take several animals each year to collect empirical data on what may at best be called a hotly debated bullet. Thanks in advance.

Drill bit or I've used a lot of push pins. I think I try and get one with a diameter around 40-45th. Or make it that diameter.
old member boz I think use to use a paper clip in the beginning. Main thing is checking to make sure tip is open and not filled up.

I believe the new 208 and 220 30 cals are pointed from Berger which makes me wonder if that's not what there doing to the 215 and 230 and that's how there coming up with the 208 and 220.

I simply check the depth of the hollow point to make sure it's open on the selected side of the box for hunting, the rest I don't bother. Many time I only visually inspect.
My dad like to run a little drill bit in then uses a small Dremel bit by had to bevel the inside a little.
I've never done it myself but I know guys who like to trim and tip this type of bullet which give them some control over the meplat and function, if I had the time I'd be in this camp.

The only thing I can tell you is TEST!
i normally use a . 040" bit but I did use a . 055" on the 230 Hybrids. My shots with this bullet would normally be 1000-1200 yards so I wanted to make sure they expanded. I usually check the width of the meplat before I drill it so I leave close to normal Jacket thickness which is about. 014". If I was using the 230 at 100 to say 800 yards only, I probably wouldnt do anything! ive found that all the tips are open on them unlike the old VLD's. When I tested them on media last year, I found that they opened with 300-400 less velocity when drilled to . 055", and with that bullet, did not change the meplat width or b c.
I might add that the elk I ended up shooting last year was at 552 yards and nearly decapitated him! ATTACH=full]177518[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMG_20191011_175700139.jpg
    IMG_20191011_175700139.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 429
I guess I'm trying to figure out why you would buy a bullet you have to "fix"!
They make plenty of good hunting bullets.
To make them better for the purpose they're used for. I'm not sure that there are PLENTY of good bullets for the ranges they are being used for today? Also, its more about making them more "consistent" than anything.

I started hunting with berger bullets before they called them hunting bullets and I always trimmed meplats I figure the tiny bit of b.c. loss is more than made up for by the uniformity of the bullet and more positive terminal performance

I just use a torch tip cleaner. I find the one that will fit, then check all of my loads to make sure there is no polishing media in them. Have had excellent results with .243 105's, .284 140's & 180's, .308 215's

I HBN coat my bullets, so opening the tip is important. I use an unmodified bullet that has the tip open and find which bit fits tightly inside, and set the bit in my drill to the right depth, and use that to open up my bullets. I load them up and open them after that, the cartridge works better to hold on to than the bullet. Never have had a bullet failure in over 50 animals taken, and didn't have to track any one of those animals either.