Berger or SMK?

Tikkamike

I have a 300WBY on the way and I already have a 300 win that I shoot 200 gr accubonds out of. so i want to shoot either the 210 VLD or the 220 SMK. I am leaning more toward the SMK because of the thicker jacket I like a bullet that retains weight and I know people have great results with the SMK. I am interested in learning more about the bergers even though the bullet is supposed to do what I do not like a bullet to do. (penetrate 4 or 5 inches and come apart) I am open to playing around with them though. any of you using either of these in your 300 wby's? also what are you getting for velocity?

Mike,
I would lean more towards the VLD as the SMK is not a hunting bullet. Although many have obtained good results with the SMK, do you want to be the guy that doesn't?

The reason Sierra says the SMK is not a hunting bullet is the thin jacket that and it does not retain weight as well as a hunting bullet. Bergers are the same basic thing with a lighter bullet but Berger has a different view on hunting bullets and is marketing a different angle.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts