Berger Long Range Hybrid Target terminal performance?

Has anyone done a decent amount of killing with the Berger Long Range Hybrid Targets (the "pointed" ones)? Specifically the 30cal 220gr. & 208gr.

I spoke with one member that had great success with the 220's and was curious is there's more field reports? Thank you!
I have been shooting Berger's 180gr hybrid target bullets from my 7mag for the past 12 years with great success. Game includes deer, elk, eland, giraffe and a wide range of antelope. Distances have ranged out to 756 yards. I also practice a lot.

I have been shooting Berger's 180gr hybrid target bullets from my 7mag for the past 12 years with great success. Game includes deer, elk, eland, giraffe and a wide range of antelope. Distances have ranged out to 756 yards. I also practice a lot.
👍 I have some of the 175 elites and 180 hybrids for my 7 SAUM as well. The 175 did a nice job on my bull last year.

👍 I have some of the 175 elites and 180 hybrids for my 7 SAUM as well. The 175 did a nice job on my bull last year.
Yeah the standard hybrid targets are tried and true. I'll probably try to get a hold of some of the 220 Long Range Hybrid Targets and test them out.

I've been shooting 215 hybrids in my .300 WSM this year. Got on a list last year and picked up 1K. Getting just under half moa at 1320 yards when the wind is calm, very accurate bullets. My only experience on game was an elk at 1176 yards this year. The elk died quickly but expansion was minimal. Muzzle velocity is 2817. From all I've read they're very effective at closer ranges than this.

I've been shooting 215 hybrids in my .300 WSM this year. Got on a list last year and picked up 1K. Getting just under half moa at 1320 yards when the wind is calm, very accurate bullets. My only experience on game was an elk at 1176 yards this year. The elk died quickly but expansion was minimal. Muzzle velocity is 2817. From all I've read they're very effective at closer ranges than this.
Wow that would put impact velocity around 1500 fps depending on your elevation, that's pretty sketchy. They need at least 1800 for reliable expansion

I knew it would be marginal performance at that distance. While it got the job done I'm eyeing a 300 Norma improved build to hunt that canyon.

My 300 NMI should be done any week. Should push a 215 at 3150+fps
I think at that MV the 215's would have sufficient speed left to perform properly at 1200. Will have to run the numbers. I'm also looking at running the 245 EOL bullet from the 300 NMI or a .338 lapua case necked to 30 cal and improved.

I've killed 1 cow elk with the 215 at 200 yards. No pass through and the bullet recovered on under the skin weighed 51 grains. I also killed a WT buck of about 150 pounds at 200 yards broadside with no pass through.

With the 230 I've killed 1 cow at 320, 1 red hind at 180, 1 at 605 and 1 bull elk at 550 and a bunch of deer and hogs from 100-620.

None of the elk were pass throughs, the red hind and wt which are on the light side were all pass throughs.

I love the bullet for its accuracy and lethality. It's been beyond well documented by the Broz and a few others.

I'm still undecided on going back with the 230 or a high bc copper solid like the hammer or bulldozer. I actually ordered a box of 195 dozers to run a ladder with this spring.

I know even a copper solid doesn't guarantee a pass through on elk as they have thick and imo very elastic skin, particularly the bulls.

I also saw more trimming required on the bull due to fragments in the off side shoulder.

I'm leaning on trying out the dozers next season but it's so hard to put the bergers down.

Here's the remains of the 230 from last year's bull. It was shot at 550 yards with a muzzle velocity of 3000 and an estimated impact velocity if 2500. It weighs 53 grains and was found just under the skin on the off side shoulder.

Additionally, both the 215 and 230 maxed out at 3050 and settled in at 2975-3000 for best accuracy in my 30 nosler. That's with H1k and maxing out case capacity prior to pressure signs.

20220124_123226.jpg

I've killed 1 cow elk with the 215 at 200 yards. No pass through and the bullet recovered on under the skin weighed 51 grains. I also killed a WT buck of about 150 pounds at 200 yards broadside with no pass through.

With the 230 I've killed 1 cow at 320, 1 red hind at 180, 1 at 605 and 1 bull elk at 550 and a bunch of deer and hogs from 100-620.

None of the elk were pass throughs, the red hind and wt which are on the light side were all pass throughs.

I love the bullet for its accuracy and lethality. It's been beyond well documented by the Broz and a few others.

I'm still undecided on going back with the 230 or a high bc copper solid like the hammer or bulldozer. I actually ordered a box of 195 dozers to run a ladder with this spring.

I know even a copper solid doesn't guarantee a pass through on elk as they have thick and imo very elastic skin, particularly the bulls.

I also saw more trimming required on the bull due to fragments in the off side shoulder.

I'm leaning on trying out the dozers next season but it's so hard to put the bergers down.

Here's the remains of the 230 from last year's bull. It was shot at 550 yards with a muzzle velocity of 3000 and an estimated impact velocity if 2500. It weighs 53 grains and was found just under the skin on the off side shoulder.

Additionally, both the 215 and 230 maxed out at 3050 and settled in at 2975-3000 for best accuracy in my 30 nosler. That's with H1k and maxing out case capacity prior to pressure signs.

View attachment 334810
Man I'd keep laying them flat with those 230s, I played with monos for awhile and I'm not impressed at all for long range
They just don't create that massive wound channel that kills so effectively

View attachment 334810
That's some great data!! Man, I was hoping the 230's would give me more exits than the 195 EOL's. I'm also considering the 199 Hammers at 3350fps

We killed two bucks this year with my 7 mag 180 hybrids at 2880. One at 30 yards quartering away. Broke two ribs on way in passed through offside shoulder and excited. Mule deer buck danced around for about 10 seconds and fell over. Another at 485. Bang flop but was hit in the neck. We took another two with the 195 eol at 2750 fps (accuracy was so good here). Both right around 400 yards. That bullet smashed deer hard. (Mule deer). One of these was my buck and it was a pass through leaving blood and chunks of tissue the size of baseballs on the ground behind the deer. He tried to take a step but fell down and that was it. The other one similar results but was hit slightly low so bullet ended up in sternum and demolished it and still excited. That buck dropped hard. Both bullets worked great. Hopefully next spring we will take some bears with the 180 hybrid.

Recent Posts