Berger Load for 260

Does anyone have a good load for 130 gr bergers in a 260. I am going to try some and would like to have a starting point.

No one answering? Maybe it's because the 130 Berger is too long to function well in most factory 260 Rem rifles. What minimum seating depth (maximum COAL) does your rifle allow with the 130 Berger? Throat depth and magazine length (or both) can be the limiting factor.

Thanks for responding it turns out the first load I tried is GOLD. I loaded to mag length 2.840 with 38.5 gr Varget and it shot a 5 shot bughole @ 100. I AM DONE with load development. I have a FN SPR action with a Shilen select @ 22 inches I need to chrono, but it does not matter to me how fast it is accurate.:D

That looks like a good load though I prefer to keep bullet shanks in front of the case shoulder.

According to Quickload
Input:
Cartridge 260 Rem
Barrel 22"
Bullet 130 Berger VLD
COAL 2.840"
Powder 38.5grain Varget

Calculated:
Shank seating depth .369" (about 0.1" behind the neck shoulder junction)
peak pressure 56977 psi. (94% SAAMI max a bit warm)
case fill 93.5% (good)
Muzzle velocity 2730 fps (good)
muzzle pressure 9676 psi (reasonable for a 22" barrel)

And per Quicktarget at 1000 yards at sea level STP it should give
Velocity 1446 fps
Energy 603 ft lbs
Time of flight 1.52 sec
total drop below bore line 364"
10 mph crosswind deflection 73.6"

If you chronograph it please post velocities and SDs. It would also be interesting how it groups at 1000 yards. It's still well supersonic at that distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.