Berger Jump

rcoody

Below is a graphic depiction of the fact that bergers will jump.

Now this is not some high dollar custom gunsmith rifle. I had an old 22/250 in the gun cabinet with a burned out barrel for about 30 years. Decided to build me a new hunting rifle around that action. sent it to bertlein barrels and had them true the action and put a .308 22" #3 contour barrel on it. Took a year to get it back. bought a Mcmillian edge stock and a jewel trigger and put it all together myself.

I picked the .308 not for some tactical reason but simply because my first deer rifle was a .308. It always worked for me. Now I am 60 and when you get older you start looking back at the past. It brings back good memories.

anyway back to the point. I really want to shoot the berger hunting VLD. I have always had good luck with them on my long range guns but they were always single loaded and jammed in the lands. I wanted to shoot them mag length. Well I have been working on that for some time. About to give up until I read the explanation of how to do it on this forum. Had my doubts.

first I took my stoney point OLG and found that my chamber length with the berger was 3.217 converted it is 2.894. Quite a jump to mag length.

First round
Well I started with 3.22 which is definitely in the lands one hole group

3.15 scattered all over

3.10 one hole again

3.05 scattered all over

Today I decided to fine tune that 3.10

second round target below. The jump seems to work

top left 3.12
top right 3.11
center 3.10
bottom left 3.09
bottom right 3.08

thought I could post the pics but I guess you will have to go to photo bucket to see it

http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/rcoody1/media/Berger%20168gr%20hunting%20VLD_zpsr7bylmqu.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

I was thinking that if you wanted to use the magazine, wouldn't you just start at maximum magazine length to begin testing?

Great job. Hopefully that gets you to magazine fit.

oh yeah

that is mag length COL is 2.767 Mag length is 2.80

I started where I knew it was good. Basically following the berger recommendations.
I was surprised it worked but it was classic a band about three hundredths where there was an accurate jump

Below is a graphic depiction of the fact that bergers will jump.

Now this is not some high dollar custom gunsmith rifle. I had an old 22/250 in the gun cabinet with a burned out barrel for about 30 years. Decided to build me a new hunting rifle around that action. sent it to bertlein barrels and had them true the action and put a .308 22" #3 contour barrel on it. Took a year to get it back. bought a Mcmillian edge stock and a jewel trigger and put it all together myself.

I picked the .308 not for some tactical reason but simply because my first deer rifle was a .308. It always worked for me. Now I am 60 and when you get older you start looking back at the past. It brings back good memories.

anyway back to the point. I really want to shoot the berger hunting VLD. I have always had good luck with them on my long range guns but they were always single loaded and jammed in the lands. I wanted to shoot them mag length. Well I have been working on that for some time. About to give up until I read the explanation of how to do it on this forum. Had my doubts.

first I took my stoney point OLG and found that my chamber length with the berger was 3.217 converted it is 2.894. Quite a jump to mag length.

First round
Well I started with 3.22 which is definitely in the lands one hole group

3.15 scattered all over

3.10 one hole again

3.05 scattered all over

Today I decided to fine tune that 3.10

second round target below. The jump seems to work

top left 3.12
top right 3.11
center 3.10
bottom left 3.09
bottom right 3.08

thought I could post the pics but I guess you will have to go to photo bucket to see it

Berger 168gr Hunting VLD Photo by rcoody1 | Photobucket

unreal what 1 hundredth of an inch of seating depth can do with berger VLD's

Berger 168gr hunting VLD.jpg

This is what I try to relay to folks questioning common load development plans.
No amount of powder change can open and close grouping like full seating testing. This makes seating the coarse adjustment to be performed first, and powder the fine adjustment performed last.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.