Berger is coming out with a 329 grain 338 long range hunting bullet

dgr416

Berger is going to come out with a new .338 bullet a 329 grain long range hunter bullet .I don't know if I can shoot that heavy in my 338-378 weatherby accumark it's probally too light of a gun.The 300 grain is a hand full even with the accurate on it .If I ever build another 338-378 I will have a 30 inch barrel with a brake on it to get alot more speed than the 26 inch barrel .I would like to try this bullet but it's a bit much in my light rifke .I know people will really like it in heavier rifles .I wonder how fast it will go in my rifle .

I will be interested in trying the 329 grain bullet in my Surgeon Remedy 338 Laupa. I currently shoot 300 grain bullets and they do have a little punch to them, but my rifle weighs 17.5 lbs w/o the scope and rings and has a 28" MTU barrel with a brake on it. It is definitely not a carry rifle but works great around the large fields and the 1000 yard range that I shoot at. Thanks for sharing the information about the Berger's

Don't worry about it, just keep telling yourself the twist in your rifle won't stabilize them anyway.:D
Just keep shooting what you got, by the time these bullets actually hit the store shelves you'll need another barrel. Then you can "upgrade" the twist and length to capitalize on whatever performance you want from whatever particular cartridge you use. I've read about guys jumping the gun and ordering barrels for this bullet when they were first announced...2 years ago.

Don't worry about it, just keep telling yourself the twist in your rifle won't stabilize them anyway.:D
Just keep shooting what you got, by the time these bullets actually hit the store shelves you'll need another barrel. Then you can "upgrade" the twist and length to capitalize on whatever performance you want from whatever particular cartridge you use. I've read about guys jumping the gun and ordering barrels for this bullet when they were first announced...2 years ago.
Yup, I ordered a barrel for the 156's almost exactly 2 years ago when they were announced, only just got them this fall.

My buddies .338 NM will probably be ready for a new barrel by the time these come out, likely will go with a 33 xc or 338 Lapua Improved or something along those lines to shoot these.

Then in maybe 10 or so more years, they MIGHT make a .375 Elite Hunter ha ha

Actually, Sierra made a few lots of 320 gr 338 SMKs prior to settling on the 300 gr.
I have about 75 or so of them still laying around.
As for the 338x378 at least for hunting, where as a rule the extreme distance isn't a factor, many feel the 250 gr is a better choice due to the velocity increase up to about 1500 yds.
My son has a 30" 9 twist on his, and he has trouble reaching 3000 FPS with 300 gr bullets. My b i l has a 36" on his using the 416 case and 3050 is what he gets if he wants accuracy.
If velocity with 300 gr bullets is what your looking for, then best to go with a bigger case than the 378 WBY.

I'm not sure what the benefit of the new bullet would be. There 250 Berger does great out to 800. Most folks won't shoot past 6-7 hundred for hunting purposes. I have some super accurate loads with the 300, but it wasn't any better (terminally) choose it over the 250 for my style of hunting.

Actually, Sierra made a few lots of 320 gr 338 SMKs prior to settling on the 300 gr.
I have about 75 or so of them still laying around.
As for the 338x378 at least for hunting, where as a rule the extreme distance isn't a factor, many feel the 250 gr is a better choice due to the velocity increase up to about 1500 yds.
My son has a 30" 9 twist on his, and he has trouble reaching 3000 FPS with 300 gr bullets. My b i l has a 36" on his using the 416 case and 3050 is what he gets if he wants accuracy.
If velocity with 300 gr bullets is what your looking for, then best to go with a bigger case than the 378 WBY.
Really???? I have a 338 Hammonds express (378 case blown out with 40 deg shoulder) shooting 3150 at 650' elevation outta 29" barrel on pierce ti action. Load 120gr bmg 50 300 Berger elite hunter Gun weighs 8# carry in the Rockies for elk. So not sure how need a bigger case than 378 for 3000 FPS

3150 at 650' elevation outta 29" barrel on pierce ti action. Load 120gr bmg 50 300 Berger elite hunter Gun weighs 8# carry in the Rockies for elk. So not sure how need a bigger case than 378 for 3000 FPS
That would be an awesome carry rifle!

That would be an awesome carry rifle!
B30881E7-D64A-4410-97FC-9577C641A003.jpeg
Sure is and it shoots like a dream

I'm not sure what the benefit of the new bullet would be. There 250 Berger does great out to 800. Most folks won't shoot past 6-7 hundred for hunting purposes. I have some super accurate loads with the 300, but it wasn't any better (terminally) choose it over the 250 for my style of hunting.

For folks shooting the largest 338s, a heavier bullet would be a big improvement. The big cases like the CT, XC and Terminator have enough case capacity to push a heavier bullet fast enough to make those cases really shine.

Really???? I have a 338 Hammonds express (378 case blown out with 40 deg shoulder) shooting 3150 at 650' elevation outta 29" barrel on pierce ti action. Load 120gr bmg 50 300 Berger elite hunter Gun weighs 8# carry in the Rockies for elk. So not sure how need a bigger case than 378 for 3000 FPS
Maybe old Clarence uses a little voo doo on his guns? lol
As for the powder charge, 137 gr of the same stuff gives me
3250 in a Big Baer case from a 34" barrel.
With no voo doo of coarse.
Daryl Cassel claimed he got 3200 from his 338x416 improved on a Hall action built by Bruce Baer. When i questioned Bruce about that he just shook his head and said no he doesn't.
Then added, and if he did he would be chucking the new case after he got it removed it from the gun.