berger for moose!

matt_3479

Anyone tried berger bullets on moose. The main animals i hunt is moose and whitetails. Im looking to get my first custom rifle going and i have been doing research and research on calibers cause i just cant decide but i think i have finally decided on a 300. win mag firing 210 bergers for long range shots and loading up 180-200 accubonds/partitions for shots within 300 yards.

Just curious on berger bullets on moose?

past 300 yards i think they would work good. My personal experience is if you hit them under 2800fps or so should be ok. I think a 200gr. accubond would be a perfect choice for deer and moose and the bc is plenty good at .268G7 or a 200gr. gameking at .290g7

would think for longer shots when the bullet slows down they would work, but a 200g accubond would be my bet. Especially if you already load for them, they are an awesome bullet for busting bones that non bonded bullets struggle with. They are also no slouch ballistically speaking, not a berger, but not bad none the less.

well my question was if they work past 300 because i was looking for info for my soon to come custom 300. win mag.

So i was hoping to load a few 200 grain accubonds for them shoots under 300 yards and then load the rest 210 bergers for them long pokes and carry both with me. I have a buddy that does the same thing. loads 160 grain accubonds in his 7mm STW for shots within 350 and then has 168 bergers past that. Since in his gun they shoot similar he has it sighted in for the bergers and then anything within 350 he shoots with the accubond. His experince with both bullets is that the accubond is a wonderful close to long range round but the berger is better at distance where the accubond beats it at close range. So he loads both rounds and keeps the accubond in the chamber and then if needed he swaps it out for a berger to take long pokes

Before you settle on a Berger, try a Hornady A-Max of a similar weight.

The A-Max is a superior design for hunting, even though Hornady does not advertise it as such.

The A-Max has both less chance of blowup at close range and less chance of pinholing at long range.

The reason is the plastic tip that better initiates expansion at low velocity and the tougher jacket that better resists blowup at close range. Hornady knows MUCH more than Berger about hunting bullets and has been doing hunting bullets for decades. If Berger put all they knew about hunting bullets in a thimble, it would be like throwing a BB into a boxcar compared to what Hornady knows.

You should be able to come up with some ballistic media to test both bullets in your rifle and caliber. I know that at 7mm the A-Max is superior to the Berger, and at a much lower cost.

The 210 VLD will be a great bullet for moose. I have personally shot an Alaskan moose with the 7mm 180 VLD out of a 7 Mag. The shot was only 425 but it took the bull off his feet. That 210 will perform very well close or at 1000 yards. I have also seen a bull taken at 975 with the 180 VLD as well. Good luck on your hunt!

The Berger was so inferior to the A-Max at the shooting range that I wouldn't dare use it for hunting. The Berger has a problem with its varying ogive (reported by many). I seat my bullets a precise distance from the leade, so the A-Max does better. These long bullets are at the limits of stability in most rifles to begin with, so you don't need variations showing up.

What are you seeing at the range that would prevent a Berger from being a good hunting bullet?

The Berger was so inferior to the A-Max at the shooting range that I wouldn't dare use it for hunting. The Berger has a problem with its varying ogive (reported by many). I seat my bullets a precise distance from the leade, so the A-Max does better. These long bullets are at the limits of stability in most rifles to begin with, so you don't need variations showing up.

HUH, so how many boxes of Bergers have you shot to come to this conclusion??

I have shoot a handfull of under 2" groups @ 400, one going just over 1". Shot 6" @ 1003.Taken 4 speed goats 500-800, and a 6x6 bull, working for megun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.