Berger supporters, Vocal Minority with Something to Gain, or Legit?

I shot this buck at 90 yards or so if I remember right. Blow the heart completely out and he ran 50-60 yards before he dropped. He didn't even flinch as if I didn't hit him at all. The blood trail was supper easy to follow at least.

Attachments

• 856187BF-3BB5-4360-AAB4-2D547E0C2371.jpeg
    856187BF-3BB5-4360-AAB4-2D547E0C2371.jpeg
    310.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 72F64E16-C80C-40CD-94DC-2934EA2F6D79.jpeg
    72F64E16-C80C-40CD-94DC-2934EA2F6D79.jpeg
    368.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 07CD8FFE-3FC7-4CAF-B7C8-DCB7E4F88C26.jpeg
    07CD8FFE-3FC7-4CAF-B7C8-DCB7E4F88C26.jpeg
    474.3 KB · Views: 58
  • F194B183-C6DA-41C2-B34B-6E0FA662568B.jpeg
    F194B183-C6DA-41C2-B34B-6E0FA662568B.jpeg
    786.1 KB · Views: 51
I thought I would look in on this to see how it has grown.. 18 pages is quite impressive.
I do and have used Berger bullets. I have had success when the slug hit the animal or the paper I was aiming for.
the animal normally did not have much of a will to go anywhere once the slug was done doing it's job, and I had done mine effectively.
now for all the other chatter of better or more effective slugs. there might be better but I have not found them in my catalogs nor my shop. so if there is anything better then I have not tried them. I like Barnes and Berger. I also like cutting edge and nosler.

As the guy who started this thread as young lad, allow me to follow up. I did begin to shoot the 215 Hybrid in my newish 300PRC. Load development was very easy like I have seen with all Berger bullets. So far I have taken a smallish bull elk with 1 reasonably well placed shot. He went about 40 yards and piled up. He was hit kind of in the zone you really don't want to aim for, in line with the crease but just below the spine. Double lunged him high, had good blood spray leading to my prize. Zero meat damage.

The second animal was a decent mule deer buck. Not my proudest shot placement moment- I was going for a high shoulder at 550 YDS and hit him too far forward, kind of below the windpipe. He ran downhill injured and spewing all kinds of blood. I figured he was dead but when I got over to him he was bedded and in bad shape. In trying to get a perfect angle to finish him off he got up and started running and I had to just about shoot from the hip to prevent him from getting away. I nailed him square in the hip socket quartering away at like 50 YDS. No exit wound, never found a bullet fragment from that second shot. It dropped him like a stone and greatly reduced the amount of meat I got out of the deal.

To sum it all up I am satisfied and will keep shooting this bullet.

As the guy who started this thread as young lad, allow me to follow up. I did begin to shoot the 215 Hybrid in my newish 300PRC. Load development was very easy like I have seen with all Berger bullets. So far I have taken a smallish bull elk with 1 reasonably well placed shot. He went about 40 yards and piled up. He was hit kind of in the zone you really don't want to aim for, in line with the crease but just below the spine. Double lunged him high, had good blood spray leading to my prize. Zero meat damage.

The second animal was a decent mule deer buck. Not my proudest shot placement moment- I was going for a high shoulder at 550 YDS and hit him too far forward, kind of below the windpipe. He ran downhill injured and spewing all kinds of blood. I figured he was dead but when I got over to him he was bedded and in bad shape. In trying to get a perfect angle to finish him off he got up and started running and I had to just about shoot from the hip to prevent him from getting away. I nailed him square in the hip socket quartering away at like 50 YDS. No exit wound, never found a bullet fragment from that second shot. It dropped him like a stone and greatly reduced the amount of meat I got out of the deal.

To sum it all up I am satisfied and will keep shooting this bullet.
Maybe just aim for the hips from the start? ;) My Uncle once shot a Pronghorn once square in the hips with a 7mm STW at about 200 yards and DRT. The buck swapped ends just as he shot. Those hams were like a bag of marbles. Glad you recovered both of your critters.