Berger classic hunter

Bandit06

Has anyone tried the 168gr Classic Hunter?

I'm trying to find a load that will feed from the magazine in a Winchester Model 70. I'm working with 160 Accubonds and Retumbo and it's not consistent, I'm getting decent groups then some random fliers. The Classic hunters will work well from the magazine but I haven't found much info on them. I won't be doing much serious long range, mostly 500 and in for deer and elk, that's why I was trying the Accubonds.

Any recommendations?

Seems like any of the VLD seated to magazine length put the ogive in or at the case mouth, and the rifle has a long throat so I can't seat them to the lands or I can't eject a loaded round.

I have Retumbo and H1000, and can get RL25 and 26. I also have several bullets on hand 168 Classic hunters and 168 VLD, 180 hybrids, and 175 ELDx. Federal 215m primers and R-P resized 8mm brass.

I had good luck with them. Jumping about .050. Killed deer very well. I also ran with retumbo, 8mm rp, and 215s and shot some good groups on paper out to 1100. Deer out to 600.

They definitely stay in the animal, no matter the distance, they won't exit. Now I also always hit the animals well, so they generally died where they stood. In that regard it depends on what you like I guess.

I've used them too and have found them to be accurate and lethal. However, I tend to lean towards the group of hunters who prefer an exit hole "just in case" the animal doesn't drop in 20yds of the shot. An exit wound leaves a much better blood trail than an entrance wound IMO.

I use them in my 284 so far so good but I will be trying some accubonds this year to see if I can get them to shoot. If they shoot well I will change

With the 175 gr ELDX, I'm getting .408" moa at 2974 fps and ES of 6.
75.9 gr Retumbo, Nosler Brass, CCI250
3.700" COAL (my Wyatt's mag box max length).

I used them in my Kimber Montana 280AI worked very well less picky than the VLDs I like to use. I ran then with 4831sc. Very accurate I could get that light little rig to stack them up at 200 yards.

Couldn't get the vld's to shoot out of a cooper 280ai magazine wasn't long enough but the classic hunters were one hole reloader 26 cci 250's

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts