Berger bullets

I don't use Bergers anymore. I don't understand why anyone would use bullets that may or may not work all the time. There are plenty of good bullets out there.

Thank you for the kind reply. That is what I had learned from others too. And the game king shoots well in my 30-06; but I ran out of em. I did have a bunch of, 250, SMK's and shot a lot of them trying to find the sweet spot for the BOSS on it. I found lots of 3/4" groups at one setting and then quit wasting powder, brass, and barrel. Now the BOSS shoots better than it ever has.
A SMK will easily kill any Georgia whitetail with proper shot placement.

A buddy took a nice Elk last year at 702 with a Berger 168gr Classic Hunter in his 280ai. One shot and dropped. Another friend who posts here a lot has had great success with Berger's hunting bullets on over 40 animals. I'll be using them for my 1st Elk hunt in a few weeks. Good luck.

I run 168g VLD Hunting bullets in my Savage L/R .300 Win Mag. super accurate and absolute game stoppers. I also use Accubond bullets in some other rifles. It depends on which ever bullet/powder is more accurate. If i can't make them shoot under an inch, they don't stay in my cabinet.

I won't use Bergers on anything bigger than deer, unless it's the 338/300g...Bergers are like varmint bullets. They explode and dont hold their weight, between 30-40% on average. If you're a meat hunter there is far better options IMO. With that said, I've also had the 7mm 180g VLDs pencil through deer behind the shoulder at 100 yards. They're just unpredictable at best. Some guys think they're the best thing since sliced bread, others hate them. I'm basing my experience off of actual field use, not what everyone else says. To each their own, but I prefer the Hornady AMAX or ELDMs. At least I know what they're going to do each and every time, and that's violently expand everytime. Plus they're half the cost of Bergers, and shoot just as well.

I've had great luck with Berger VLD's, 6 elk and 6 deer in the last 4 years between my wife and kids and all but one dropped in it's tracks. The one elk that didn't took 10 steps and laid down and took another to the neck which probably was not needed.

Hit behind the shoulder and they work awesome, in the shoulder they do some damage to meat but still work awesome.

Last edited:
Well so far this year my 300 win mag has taken two cows. One at a touch over 400 and the next almost 300. My brother in law used my rifle on the first and I shot the second. Both filed in place and didn't even move. I think I am impressed as long as you make sure the shot is good

Killed a bull Elk at 480 with Berger 168gr classic Hunter out of a 280AI this year. Severe quartering angle. Put it back behind shoulder into ribs to catch lungs. Exited base of neck. Severe blood loss. Put a fast second in him. He collapsed and slid down the ridge.....then he stood back up. I shot him twice more but probably wasn't necessary. He collapsed. Very tough animal. Other than the neck exit all bullets stayed in animal.

A few days later I was with my buddy when he killed his bull at 525. One shot behind right shoulder, slight quartering, with a 28 Nosler pushing the Berger 175 Elite Hunter. Punched through left shoulder Shedded jacket just under hide on opposite side. Elk took two bounds and flipped over backwards and was dead. Very impressive.

Although both bullets were successful, i'll definitely be building a 28 Nosler. The extra energy is appreciated.
Not sure why some pics are sideways. Sorry.
07C541EA-6BCE-49A3-A9B1-4DB49EC652D0.jpeg
637F03FE-2FA7-4906-B2E8-51F2C081A3DB.jpeg
E2DE702F-0FF8-4DA4-81BE-8D344C4C0F29.jpeg
E0F1B383-32B1-41CB-A67E-FCD4BB43FFF6.jpeg
51AFFE45-150D-4BBE-B231-9DDEE1262583.jpeg
AEA09660-8D03-4139-BC44-7CF952D16650.jpeg
E151D548-4C2D-485E-9AF0-3FFF0FE45D47.jpeg

I'd be really inclined to shoot the 175s in your 7mm before building. In my 7mm Rem I had good success with 195 EOL but also had a 8.5 twist in that barrel.

I tried the 168gr Hybrid this year on my 7mm Rem Mag, got a coues buck at 280yds, great job destroying lungs with a bullet size entry and a tennis ball exit.

Currently working on load with 168gr Classic Hunters in my 7mm-08 and 180 VLDH on my 7mm Rem Mag and they look promising so far.

I am pretty happy with the performance of the hybrid. I always make sure the tips ain't clogged though, quite a few were clogged but I cleaned them up.

Stay safe

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts