Berger bullets

What are everyone's opinion on Berger bullets? I have heard many polar opposite opinions on whether they are to explosive on impact. Others say that they are the most foolproof way to get an animal. I don't want to ruin lots of meat because I mostly hunt for meat.
I've been using bergers several years and several calibers if you do a poor shot it does ruin some meat I shot high shoulder minimal damage lots of elk freezer always has meat in it

I've shot Berger hunting VLDs for several years mainly in 257 Wby, 260 Remington, 6.5-284 and .308 Win. I've always been pleased with the terminal performance. BUT, in the last 2 years it seems like I don't get pass throughs anymore, even with shooting the .308 with 175 grain VLDs with a 2800 fps muzzle velocity. And these are on small bodies Texas whitetail.

I'll continue to use them because I have a lot of them loaded up and still on my load bench but I'm much more nervous about them.

I personally would not use them on larger game because I prefer 2 holes in an animal than one. If the drop where they stand, great. If not I want as much blood being let out as possible.

I have successfully used 7mm 180 TARGET VLDs on several animals (including the antelope in my avatar) with no negative outcomes to date, all were well placed. That said, I also have used ELDM bullets very successfully. I have not tried 180 hybrids or EOLs, although a while back I read several were using hybrids successfully. That said I have a close friend who refuses to use anything Berger other than EOL on game, says he's personally seen them pencil through. I keep using them though, and he knows I like them for hunting. I think it would be possible to have a bad experience with even an established hunting bullet is my opinion, but for the most part people seem to be having success with them.

What are everyone's opinion on Berger bullets? I have heard many polar opposite opinions on whether they are to explosive on impact. Others say that they are the most foolproof way to get an animal. I don't want to ruin lots of meat because I mostly hunt for meat.
I have used them for hunting with my 6.5/284,140 VLD's. Very accurate, good terminal performance.. They can leave an impressive exit wound!

@JC in Calif, yes, good exit wounds, here are two different bucks exit wounds. Top picture was a buck shot at 700, and bottom picture was a buck shot at 200. Both 180 target vld from 7 rem mag.

20200918_114604.jpg

IMG_20180930_132708.jpg

Last edited:
It was my 308 Win LTR. It was also the Federal Factory Load that you mentioned and it shot very well.

I just ran a wire bit in the tips to clean them out. Didn't take long. They were not too bad, and your really don't take any material. Some just had some "burrs" and a wax like substance.

I would feel perfectly comfortable putting it on the shoulder for sure.

Take care bud!
Steve

Thanks.

Yeah I already unclogged a few tips on the ammo I got, it looked like wax. It was the first thing I checked.

Thanks again bud and stay safe

I shot Berger 168gr VLD's before they had a specific hunting bullet To take Antelope with. They were 7mm 168 gr at 2850fps took the first at 440yds he stumbled 20' and was down for the count by the time we walked up to him he had a pool of blood around about as big as he was. Then took a Doe at 175 yds and she didn't go very far and went down. There all I shoot at game.

Bloody incomplete question without WHICH Berger bullet you're talking about! There are many types for the various sports. Certainly one can get poor results using the wrong design for a given purpose.

As stated it depends on what you want from a bullet. You will get great accuracy. You will get dead animals that expire very quickly if you get the bullet anterior to the diaphragm. You will get some good bruising radial to the wound channel. If you get an exit on game like antelope and the smaller deer species like white tails and mule deer it will be an impressive hole.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.