Berger bullets

Slow Hunting

What are everyone's opinion on Berger bullets? I have heard many polar opposite opinions on whether they are to explosive on impact. Others say that they are the most foolproof way to get an animal. I don't want to ruin lots of meat because I mostly hunt for meat.

What makes you think you will any different feedback than what you have already researched?

The best way to know your answer is to load some up, shoot for accuracy and shoot a few animals and form your own opinion.

They work for me, they may or may not for you. Only you can determine that by trying them.

Good luck,
Steve

Tons of info for Bergers on the Search feature top of page. However Berger has introduced new bullets since some posts occurred. I've seen a good number of elk, mule deer and antelope killed with Bergers. As mentioned, shot placement is paramount.

It's certainly a polarized topic. I know a few guys have found clogged hollow points upon inspection. I can understand how this might negatively affect expansion. Guys in the know seem to religiously check tips, so I have began to do the same with a wire drill bit, a staple or pin. It depends on the bullet, but the hollow points on the 175's-215's I've been using should measure ~0.4" deep. If they measure less, I drill them out or just use for practice.

I also cleaned the tips with a wire bit, but don't recall the size. Doesn't take long and I simply did it by hand.

Shot a doe at about 180 yards with my LTR right on the point of the shoulder and she didn't go anywhere. Complete pass through, both shoulders busted and blood everywhere in the snow. That was a 168 gr Classic Hunter.

Steve

It seems like the open tip thing could be an important qualifier. I have no desire to test this myself.

I'm primarily a meat hunter (like the OP). Avoided Bergers for many years, but reading this article was the tipping point for me.

I few months ago I had some loyalty points at Sportsmans that I had to use, they didn't have the powders I needed so I got some ammo. Federal Premium 7mm Rem Mag with the 168gr Berger Hybrid Hunter. Groups average 0.4" in my 7mm Rem Mag so I cant complain.

Muzzle Velocity on the box is 2,870, I'll find out the exact velocity this weekend.

Is this a bullet that you need to keep off the shoulder? Or can you go through the shoukder if needed? I've been using the SST for a long time on my 7mm-08 and 7mm Rem Mag and will continue to do so since they'll punch through the shoulder and leave and exit hole if needed, although I usually stay behind the shoulder.

Just curious that if I use these will I have some limitations as to what shots I can take.

I have some 168gr and 180gr VLD Hunting coming, what can I expect from these?

Thanks on advance

I also cleaned the tips with a wire bit, but don't recall the size. Doesn't take long and I simply did it by hand.

Shot a doe at about 180 yards with my LTR right on the point of the shoulder and she didn't go anywhere. Complete pass through, both shoulders busted and blood everywhere in the snow. That was a 168 gr Classic Hunter.

Steve

Hey Steve, was this with our 308?

It was my 308 Win LTR. It was also the Federal Factory Load that you mentioned and it shot very well.

I just ran a wire bit in the tips to clean them out. Didn't take long. They were not too bad, and your really don't take any material. Some just had some "burrs" and a wax like substance.

I would feel perfectly comfortable putting it on the shoulder for sure.

Take care bud!
Steve

Attachments

• B6040CE8-4265-4B8C-B518-318A5D8F7F78.jpeg
    B6040CE8-4265-4B8C-B518-318A5D8F7F78.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 156
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.